Samsung 830 256GB $179 at B&H

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ml.sail1, Aug 22, 2012.

1. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's what I'm thinking! When I'm seeing the 256GB models go for $170~180, the sub $400 512GB drives must be next.

5. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Cheapest I've seen them go for was aboud 530.00. If those dipped to 400 i'd be all over it.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Oh it will definitely happen. I am guessing around November during the Thanksgiving holiday season.

The Crucial M4 512 is around $359 from what I saw from the last sale.

2 x Samsung 830 256's come to around $359 as well. They are $500 right now, price drops are inevitable.

I keep filling up my 256GB Samsung 830 so I definitely need to get the 512 when the price is right. Carrying an external drive is a bit tiring. I might just pop in the 750GB in the DVD drive, but the whole point of having an SSD was to gain battery life and speed :)

7. Ifti macrumors 68000

Just got my 512GB installed last night, selling my 256GB now.

8. NickB2005 macrumors newbie

How much are you selling it for?

9. Ifti macrumors 68000

10. JCWarrior, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

JCWarrior macrumors newbie

Page says $189 now. I'm considering this too. Do I need an install kit that I see with some drives that copies your disk image and puts it on the new drive?

I don't want to have to reinstall everything.

I have a Macbook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can use a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your old HDD onto the new SSD. You'll need an external enclosure for one of the drives to do the initial transfer.

Alternatively, you can just install the new drive and restore it with a time machine backup. You do perform regular backups, right?

12. ml.sail1 thread starter macrumors regular

I think the page says $189 yes, but once you add it to cart it deducts another $10 bringing it to $179.

You may need an external enclosure of sorts to set it up before putting it into your MBP if you want to avoid reinstalling, yes. Carbon Copy Cloner does work great for this, copies everything into a bootable copy.

So something like this.

Edit: Just checked and I guess it did go back up to $189, still not bad though.

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Good to see prices finally dropping! I paid $500 for a 256 Samsung 470 about a year ago!

14. JCWarrior macrumors newbie

Are you certain? I noticed the upgrade kits just come with an SATA wire that you plug directly into the drive.

15. ml.sail1 thread starter macrumors regular

That is correct, however if you were to purchase the SSD listed here, it comes with just the SSD and no cables. The upgrade kits do come with a USB to SATA cable for plugging in the SSD and/or old HDD externally for setting it up, though the price increase to get an upgrade kit (especially considering this price) is not really worth it, you might as well get an external enclosure that you can then continue to use later.

16. JCWarrior macrumors newbie

Makes sense but the drive I have is 5400RPM and I wouldn't use that for recording and I wouldn't need it for much else.

What about just purchasing a SATA cable for $4?

17. JCWarrior macrumors newbie

Nevermind this idea.... cables alone cost more than the kit! Anything I should look for in a drive case?

18. ml.sail1 thread starter macrumors regular

Well though your MBP doesn't have USB 3.0 the price difference between a USB 2.0 and 3.0 enclosure is negligible, so you might as well just get one with USB 3.0. Also, you would want to make sure it is a 2.5 inch enclosure (smaller size for a laptop HDD/SSD).

This looks like a good one, and at $20 its not too bad.

19. JCWarrior macrumors newbie

OK... My new SSD and enclosure is on the way and I have carbon Copy Cloner installed. I just need to confirm the disk swap procedure:

1) Make Carbony Copy Clone of entire current HDD on an external drive for security.

2) Remove current HDD and place it in new external enclosure.

3) Install new SSD into macbook Pro.

4) Use Carbon Copy Clone to copy contents of old HDD (that is installed in new enclosure) onto new SSD.

Is this correct?

20. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Or you can skip a step and put the SSD in the external enclosure and use CCC to make a bootable clone of your internal drive to the SSD.

After that you simply swap them. Your original HDD will be your backup.

If you want the extra step of having an extra backup then the steps you describe are correct.

21. JCWarrior, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

JCWarrior macrumors newbie

So if I go this route and make a bootable clone of my internal drive to the SSD, this basically places all of my programs and files onto the SSD. Once I swap it with my HDD I use the system just as before. Correct?

Please excuse my ignorance. The idea of cloning a drive zooms over my head a little.

Edit: Would I follow this direction from CCC?

When you need a complete, simple backup of your entire hard drive:

1) Launch Carbon Copy Cloner
    2) Choose the volume that you want to clone from the Source menu
    3) Choose a properly-formatted volume from the Destination menu
    4) Select "Temporarily archive modified and deleted items" from the preconfigured settings menu
    5) Click the Clone button

If you want to update your cloned volume in the future, simply re-run CCC with the same settings and CCC will update the backup volume with only the items that have changed since your last backup.

22. JCWarrior macrumors newbie

Upgraded and everything is working fine. Thanks for the help everyone!