Samsung 830, failing? (slow read/write)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andymac2210, Feb 24, 2013.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

So I've had a Samsung 830, 256GB in my 2012, 15" MBP for about 6 months now, it's been ok until the last few days.

I noticed that after waking the computer from sleep the menu bar at the top was giving me the spinning beach ball when I hovered over it.
    So I done a disk speed test with black magic and my SSD was getting TERRIBLE read/write speeds, like 150/write and 170/read.

After a restart the beach ball problem seems to have went away, but the reads/writes are still not what they used to be at all (see screenshot).

I haven't enabled any Trim hacks, nor is the SSD even remotely close to being full, it's about half full.

The strange thing is that the write speeds start off at about 350mb/s then drop off to less than 200, the read speeds never get above 200mb/s.
    (testing with 5gb on black magic)

What should I do?
    This computer is vital for work I do so I can't have any downtime.

Attached Files:

2. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

First off if you suspect that it is failing, don't hesitate to do a back-up. Second, I remember reading about a hard drive diagnostic test. See if you can run one and check if the drive has issues.

3. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm constantly backed up to 3 different time machines drives, I'm a fiend for backing up. :)

I've already ran the disk utility and it says the disk is fine, my concern is that it won't pick up issues on a 3rd party SSD.

What I'd really like to know is what other people with the same SSD think, since it's a popular one and generally thought of as quite reliable.

4. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone else comment on this?

I want to know if I should be looking to RMA the drive or not.

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I'd certainly RMA it. It must be failing slowly, because nothing else would cause such dramatic speed drops I can think of.

You may just find it totally dies one day, possibly soon.

So yeah, rma it.