Samsung 830 freezing after waking from hibernation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tracid, Dec 16, 2012.

1. tracid macrumors member

Hi,

I installed a 128gb Samsung 830 into my optical drive bay recently on my 13" 2012 Macbook.

Everything works great and really speedy. However, when I close the lid and open it again, it freezes. The screen is just black.

I enabled Trim, not sure if that matters. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

3. Hexley macrumors 6502a

My guess is his hdd is taller than 9.5mm.

4. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Nope, if it is the Apple supplied Hitachi 500GB HDD in the base 2012 cMBP model than it is the standard 9.5mm height. The HDD bay is a better/safer place for the hard drive, so I understand the logic of leaving it there and putting SSD into superdrive bay...

TRIM shouldn't matter either. Not sure what what could be the reason...

Did you do a fresh OS X install or did you clone your HDD??? When I cloned mine (with Superduper!) it never froze but wasn't booting up as 'briskly' as after the clean install. I'd probably explore putting SSD inside the HDD bay and see if the freezing disappears and/or go for the clean OS X install.

These would be my 'try-and-see-what-happens' solutions;)

5. Hexley macrumors 6502a

I have a 12.5mm 1TB WD Blue drive (the first 2.5" 1TB HDD) that I am concerned would not fit into an Optibay. >.<

6. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Yeah, agree. I know they are higher 2.5" HDDs than 9.5mm. I just took a guess the OP still has a HDD inside that came originally with his MBP;)

7. tracid thread starter macrumors member

I decided to keep the hdd where it is. A friend told me vibration reduction is much better in the main hd space than in my optical drive caddy I bought off amazon. Plus, an ssd doesn't spin =)

I used super duper to clone the hdd to ssd so mabye ill do a fresh install and see what happens. I'll try to update when I have the time to do it.

8. Blue604 macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16410388#post16410388

I had the same issue with M4 512GB on 2009 MBP 13"

My guess is the optical drive issue. I have since put M4 in HDD bay and there is no problem.

9. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Before you do anything hard try this really easy thing:

Go to System Preferences, choose the Startup Disk pane, make sure that the disk you want to use is selected. Sometimes this gets de-selected (not sure how) and can cause issues with slow or failing boots and/or sleep/wakes.

10. tracid thread starter macrumors member

Blue604, NewishMacGuy, thanks for your input.

The startup disk is selected but I'll keep that in mind from time to time.

I might have to swap the hdd and ssd positions if there aren't any other suggestions. =/