Samsung 830 on Early 2011 15" & 17" inch MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jiten, Dec 16, 2011.

  1. Jiten, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

    Jiten macrumors 6502a

    Jiten

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    #1
    I'm taking a long hard look at upgrading some of our early 2011 15 and 17 inch Macbook Pros with the new Samsung 830 SSDs. I recall a couple of months ago OWC published in their blog that these models have issues with SATA III SSDs because of some shielding or EFI issue.

    http://blog.macsales.com/9754-owc-offers-fix-for-2011-17-mbp-sata-problems

    Any early 15" or 17" 2011 MBP users out there successfully upgraded to a Samsung 830 (any of the newer gen SATA III SSDs) without any problems? I've read the OWC blog and they say that the best solution is the bring the machines to a service center to get the machine replaced.

    The only problem is that these units are production machines and we really can't afford to have to take them off production more then a day, especially when we have quite a lot of big project ongoing. Should I take a gamble and give it a shot or should I just buy a SATA II SSD instead?
     
  2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #2
    Apple updated the 17" MBP firmware a few months ago to fix the SATA 3.0 issue. Since then, I have not heard of anyone having significant problems with SATA 3.0 SSDs.

    The 15" MBP never had a problem.
     
  3. Jiten, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

    Jiten thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jiten

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    #3
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll try to install a 830 this weekend.
     
  4. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    #4
    830 on 13 inch MBP

    Just put a 128 GB Samsung 830 in my early 2011 13 inch MBP, replacing a Samsung 64 GB SSD that worked perfectly. Just needed more capacity and Newegg had a good price. The kit came with a USB/ Hard Drive cable. I just plugged in the new HD to the USB and used the Disk Utility to make 1 Partition and a GUID. I then used Super Duper and copied my full 64GB drive to the new one. Took about 30 minutes for about 50 GB of data. I then used my small screwdriver and torx kit to remove and replace the 64GB with the 128 GB. Voila! It boots up and works fine. I've had a few Samsung SSD's and they have always worked perfectly.
     

Share This Page