Samsung 830 running SATA II

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bvanlieu, Nov 23, 2011.

1. bvanlieu macrumors member

Just swapped in a 256G 830 into my 2010 MBP and its one happy lappy.

I debated 470 and 830 and went with the newer technology. Although its bus limited, you still have a newer drive with updated logic and controller hardware for only a bit more money then the 470. I liked the USB transfer dongle with the notebook case, though I did have one issue.

I am curious about firmware updates. Windows 7 laptop and the Samsung Magician software would not recognize the volume as a volume to update. This is a problem as I a not going to install the drive internally just to update the firmware.

Will cross that bridge when I need to. Otherwise, your typical first time SSD user comments apply. It really transforms task switching, app load/close etc...all things I do constantly.

- b

2. rainking macrumors regular

Did you do the trim hack or you letting the drive's garbage collection do the task?

3. bvanlieu thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

No hacks. I am running snow kitty. I tend to stay a bit behind on apple updates as I like stability. :)

Ran super super, swapped, booted up as expected. Spotlight insisted on a reindex.

- b

4. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Samsung 830 is on my buying list 2morrow!!! Where did you order it from? Thinking of ordering from Newegg! You should download trimenabler and install it!

5. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Nice drive so I hear. I myself just bought the OWC Mercury Extreme 480. I haven't heard nice things about since I bought it. I haven't had it long enough to recommend it either. I am liking the sheer speed of SSD though. What a difference it makes.

6. bvanlieu thread starter macrumors member

Newegg...free shipping, I am close to NJ depot so arrived in one day.

I'm not hot to trot to enable TRIM...letting the drive's logic do its job for now, and see how things progress over time. Perhaps Apple will eventually enable TRIM. By them I may be ready to upgrade to Lion...right now I am quite happy
    as is.

Homie's got work to do :D

- b

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

W7 didn't recognize it due to different file system (Windows can't read HFS+). However, you should only need the PC for creating the bootable installer. The SSD doesn't have to be connected AFAIK.

8. bvanlieu thread starter macrumors member

Recognizing the target SATA device is all that should be required, not
    mounting a volume.

Windows as an OS could see the device on the USB bus, and using Disk Manager I could partition it and even format it NTFS for grins which I did.

The Samsung Utility still would only let me select a single HD in the drop down box, which was the internal Seagate drive, not the Samsung SSD on the USB bus.

That part was disappointing though being so new I don't believe there is a firmware update posted yet.

- b

9. ljx718 macrumors 6502

Did you need the spacers with the laptop kit or was the brackets on the MacBook pro enough? I can only find the 64 gb with desktop kit

10. bvanlieu thread starter macrumors member

Dropped right in. Its a standard 2.5 height IIRC.

I got the notebook kit as it came with the little USB to SATA adapter.

- b

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Look at the three minute mark in this video and you will see what I was talking about in the other thread. The way the drive is mounted from the sides, being 2mm slimmer is not going to matter.

12. Pmm150 macrumors newbie

Samsung 830 not booting up

Hi,
    I am trying to upgrade my 3 year old MacBook pro laptop with the new 830 SSD but hit a snag. Perhaps a small step I missed?

Here was my procedure:

1) Use the USB connector to connect the ssd to my laptop in order to perform a clone using the disk utility tool.

2) open up the laptop and swap out the hdd for the new ssd. Re-assemble everything and reboot.

It isnt fully booting... Gets hung up on the light blue screen.

Did I miss a critical step?

Thanks,
    Phil

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Before the clone did you use Disk Util to partition and format the drive as Mac OS X Extended and a GUID type partition table?

How did you clone with Disk Util? This can be confusing for people. It is easier to use Carbon Copy Cloner.