Samsung 830 SSD Firmware update question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YsoSerious, Feb 23, 2012.

1. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I just purchase a 256gb Samsung 830 ssd and was wondering how I would go about updating the firmware. Also, how do I check if it already has the most current firmware. I purchased it from newegg so not sure if the firmware will be up to date.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I don't have one, but there's probably 2 ways to check.

1) there may be a program on their web site that will let you check
    2) open the system information app in applications>utilities and go to SATA to see hard drives

3. aldejesus macrumors regular

Go to: www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC256N/AM
    Download the Magician software and it will check if your SSD has the latest firmware, if not it will upgrade. Unfortunately this only works on windows, so you have to use bootcamp. I have the same SSD as you, and it was an easy process.:)

4. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

Old thread, I know. But I ran into this same problem today and found a way to check the firmware.

About This Mac -> System Report

Look for the Sammy SSD drive. Check the revision. Current firmware appears to be CXM03B1Q. If you are running that, you don't need an update. Sammy haven't provided a new firmware update since Jan.

5. elmarculin macrumors newbie

Hy,
    I've buy samsung 830 256Gb.
    New installation of Lion osx have trim "NO". I do enable TRIM with software?
    Thank's

6. appletechpro macrumors regular

-- Can this same method be used via a Windows installation in Parallels Desktop? Is it just an .exe utility which runs within Windows and updates the drive's firmware while booted into the OS?

7. AlexBass macrumors regular

Use trim enabler

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- No, it cannot.

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Don't use TRIM with Samsung drives.

10. appletechpro macrumors regular

Why not?

11. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Because it has one of the best Garbage Collection features in the industry. Samsung uses it's own controller compared to SandForce (Which Intel, Crucial, etc use).

TRIM actually degrades performance with these drives.

12. appletechpro macrumors regular

If that is the case, then why do the Samsung flash modules installed in the rMBPs have TRIM enabled by default?

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

That's what I'm trying to figure out too.

In every reputable site I've researched on Trim & Samsung 830, (such as Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, etc) all say leave Trim off in OS X.

14. midtownhd macrumors member

Could you point to the exact articles you're referring to.

15. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Crucial has a Marvell based controller, not Sandforce. The GC in crucial drives are supposedly just as good as Samsung.

16. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Oops. intel uses Sandforce. A good customized version.

Crucial is better at yielding compressionable data hence why it's sometimes faster than the Samsung, but Samsung is the most stable.

17. JTToft, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

JTToft macrumors 68040

- Until you can point to some of the articles you are talking about to back this claim up, I'm going to assume you are either lying or just don't know what you are talking about.

In fact, in Anandtech's review of the 830, they are saying the opposite:
    In addition, Anandtech states that TRIM can be a problem on SandForce SSDs, not on the Samsung 830, here:
    Anandtech's general recommendation (nothing special about the Samsung 830) with regards to TRIM in Mac OS X is to "force-enable TRIM in OS X only if you do something disk intensive where performance matters, and only if you have an SSD where idle garbage collection is proving insufficient; otherwise you most likely won’t notice the change in performance".