Samsung 830 thoughts after a few days

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mpaquette, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mpaquette macrumors regular

I've been using my new Samsung 830 in my early 2011 MBP pro for a few days now. The good: much faster than the stock Apple drive, no lockups or random reboots. The bad: flaky Lion re-install (recovery console wouldn't work), much worse battery life than with the stock HD.

At this point, I think I'm going back to the stock HD. The speed is nice, but the shortened battery life is a big problem. Maybe the Samsung is better suited to a desktop system vs. a laptop.

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I recall reading the power usage was higher than the 470 series; but this is the first I've heard of it being noticeable, especially compared to the stock drive.

Anyway, what size and how much do you want for it?

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I know there have been a few recent software updates so before just giving up on it, i would make sure everything is up to date.

You have a great SSD there and returning it after a few days seems fairly quick to do so.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I've always wondered why the Samsung SSD is more expensive than other brands. Is it just the name?

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The interesting thing though is that if you look at the power consumption specs as listed on Newegg, it doesn't look bad at all. Compared to my old Kingston SSDNow V+, I was hoping the newer drives like Samsung 830 wouldn't impact the battery life in any dramatic way. :(

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

It's partly the name, but mostly it's because the 830 is ridiculously thin at 7mm compared to other standard 9.5mm drives.

7. mpaquette thread starter macrumors regular

Read the review on Anandtech. It appears that it likes power. I wish I would have read that before I made the purchase.

8. PicanteGamer macrumors newbie

That's strange. I just installed the 128gb 830 in my early 2011 13'' and if anything, I've noticed better battery life compared to the stock drive. Of course, this perhaps could be due to the clean install of Lion vs my previous SL -> Lion upgrade mess. I don't have a lot of experience with SSDs but so far I have been thrilled with this drive. It's insanely fast and I've run into no issues.

Anandtech's review did show high power usage, but the Storage Review one shows very low power consumption. I'm not really sure what's going on. Perhaps try updating the firmware and see if that helps? Oh, that does bring me to my one issue with the drive: it is not updatable on Mac OS. Even Samsung's bootable ISO will not work. Bootcamp should work, but one of the reasons I did go Samsung was because I was under the impression that their bootable firmware updater would work on OSX.

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Me too. I have a Crucial SSD but I get much better battery life as compared to my 7200 RPM drive it replaced. Much cooler running too.

10. aldejesus macrumors regular

I changed my OWC 120g Mercury extreme Pro 6G with the 256g Samsung 830 and battery have been a lot better than with the OWC. I upgraded the firmware before installing it. And I also notice some faster performance with the samsung compared to the OWC.

11. mpaquette thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like I should probably wait a few more days and if things settle back to normal.

12. Fultonpics macrumors member

had mine for about a month. update it via bootcamp partition. it seems to actually give me slightly better battery life. so far, i have really been enjoying the speed

13. Acejam2k macrumors regular

What do you mean by flaky Lion re-install? The recovery console is stored in the MBP firmware, so it shouldn't have anything to do with your HDD/SSD. Simply press Command + R on startup to access this menu.

As for your battery life - are you quoting what Lion tells you? Or actual real-world usage of your computer? I've noticed Lion takes a bit to correctly gauge the battery life meter, but after a few days it should be OK.

I'm able to get pretty decent battery life on my late-2011 15" MBP with the Samsung 830. Usually I can get at least 5 hours of usage, and the battery life is definitely better than the stock 7200rpm HDD that i was using previously. Perhaps something else is going on - what do you do on your machine? What browser do you use?

Also, I suggest reading the "official" Samsung 830 thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1286166

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Upon their release I bought a 512 GB Samsung 830, installed it in my 15" mid 2010 MBP with 10.6.8. Performance, battery life, and stability has been terrific. No bugs or problems at all. Installtion was fast & easy. I'm very satisfied.

15. mpaquette thread starter macrumors regular

Meaning that Lion wouldn't re-install. Command+R worked in bringing up the recovery console, I was able to format the SSD, clicked on the install Lion option, then nothing. Just a spinning wheel. Posted about it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1318481

Regarding battery life, I'm going by what Lion tells me. That's why I said that I would probably give it a few more days and see if things settle back to normal.

Thanks for the link to the 830 thread. I've been following it and posted in it.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

While others compete in price and speed, Samsung concentrates on reliability. Samsung SSDs are overall the most reliable and right now they are the only brand that uses in-house controllers in all SSDs.

17. LeonHH macrumors newbie

Trim?

hi guys, my first post here, yeah!

so im considering to buy a 256gb samsung ssd, for my mbp 2011, the question is, should i use this Trim enabler or not, and maybe the energy problems are because of that Trim stuff? well I'm not a techy guy, any thoughts?

cheers
    L

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Samsung 830 has a pretty effective garbage collection so you don't really need TRIM.

19. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I don't believe for one second that the battery life decreases after installing ANY SSD. I have 2 in mine, and I never noticed any decrease or increase in battery life. There is no moving part and you don't need the sudden motion sensor, plus you don't have to put the disk to sleep as if it were a regular HDD. regardless of it being a samsung or not, I doubt what's causing your battery life to drain faster is caused by your SSD.

20. mpaquette thread starter macrumors regular

After another couple of days, I think I jumped the gun declaring battery life was worse. Things really seem to have improved. No idea why. Overall I'm pleased with the 830.

21. immanuelsun macrumors newbie

I would due this to its "extra" chip. 830 series seems to have two chips instead of one in 430 series, which would make the disk more stable but also consume more power.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Except for Intel of course ;)

23. Acejam2k macrumors regular

Not sure which point you were referring to - so I'll address both. Intel has definitely had their fair share of SSD issues (8MB cache bug), but they've also released some *very* reliable models, such as the X25-M G2. As to the other point, the Intel 510 uses a Marvell controller, which I wouldn't exactly call "in-house".