Samsung 830 Upgrade.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Namtaro, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Namtaro macrumors regular

Hello everyone. So with the 830 on sale, I pulled the trigger on it since the 840's going to be pricier with less performance and the Pro being a little too high on my budget. I currently have Mountain Lion installed on my Late 2011 Macbook Pro. I want to do an easy swap so just to clarify a few things...

I don't really want to do a fresh install as of right now. For a cloning the drive, it'll be from the internal 500GB drive to the 256GB SSD. I'm using around 90GB in there with 50GB dedicated for Win7 Bootcamp. Never touched the Win7 other than logging on once in a while to update things, left it in there just incase.
    Any recommended tutorials/programs for cloning the harddrive? I bought a 2.5'' enclosure so when I swap out the drives I can use the old drive as a external drive. I'm guessing it'll work for cloning the drive correct?

Secondly, is there anything I need to do after cloning the drive? I know I have to install a program to get Mountain Lion to enable TRIM since it only works for Apple's branded SSD's, but anything else?

Thanks a lot everyone.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

When I upgraded to a SSD, I just did a clean install of OSX and restored my info from the time machine backup. Things are a little more complicated if you need to clone your Windows partition as well. I'll let someone else chime in on that.

As for TRIM, I just used this utility:

http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322

3. Namtaro thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, time machine might be a good idea. What were the steps needed? Just install a fresh copy of Mountain Lion, than connect to my time machine backup and restore?
    I can delete the Windows Partition and install it after if I need to, it's not important to me.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm pretty sure Apple gives you the option to restore from a time machine backup right at the beginning of the install of Lion and Mountain Lion.

Another option is carbon copy cloner. I haven't used it in a long time but its pretty simple and I'm sure you could find some guides if you searched around.

5. Namtaro thread starter macrumors regular

Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't seem to be free, but it does say at the bottom.
    'Try the complete feature set of CCC for 30 days before purchasing it. Use that time to explore CCC's automated, incremental backup functionality, make a bootable backup, move your digital life to a new hard drive and get peace of mind.'

Since I won't be using it's other features like backing up, can I use it just for cloning?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can. I don't remember paying for CCC when I did use it, but it has been a long time ago.