Samsung 830 vs Intel 520

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nitromac, Aug 6, 2012.

1. nitromac macrumors 6502

So I've set my sights on two SSDs (each 256GB): Samsung 830 and Intel 520.
    Samsung uses their own controller and Intel uses a modified SandForce. What I'm interested in is how they deal with programming (going into CS at university) and heavy applications (video/photo editing in Adobe, music produciton, etc). I'm planning on replacing my SuperDrive with an Optibay and putting the 500GB original into it. I'm not going to store any "big" files on my SSD, simply going to use it for OS and applications.

If there are advantages, I may temporarily store videos/photos on the SSD while editing and then move them over to the HDD.

I was set on the Intel as I found a pretty good deal on it, but then saw that it was significantly slower than the Samsung with large compressed files (Videos/Photos are exactly that).

I'm leaning towards the Samsung for its all-around great performance, but they don't have as much history in the SSD market as Intel do, and Intel provides a 5-year warranty as compared to the Samsung's 3 years. The Samsung also sounds like a good match for a MBP since its controller is used in the Retina MBP.

So I'm just looking for a final bit of advice since I can't decide myself. :D

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

The unscientific answer on this board appears to be Samsung 830.

They truth is - they will both do amazing - unless you get a bad SSD - which is possible with all SSD's.