Samsung 840 EVO 250gb wont partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chevychase, Jun 20, 2014.

1. chevychase, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

chevychase macrumors member

chevychase

Macbook Pro Mid 2010 (7,1 A1278)
    1. Hard Drive Failed
    2. Bought new Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD to replace it :)
    3. Plugged SSD in original Hard Drive Slot

I have no Original System Disks so I booted from an external HD with 10.6.8 and tried to format the new SSD with Disk Utility.

Chose 1 Partition with GUID and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) hit Apply and bar spins for about 2 minutes while displaying "unmounting disk" until error:

Partition failed with error:
    POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory.

Then drive disappears until I reboot it again. It seems to get stuck on trying to unmount the disk. Tried several times but no luck. ANY IDEAS to get this SSD formatted, I was really pumped with the upgrade to SSD :confused:

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Is it recognized through Windows (or Linux)? If so, try formatting it in HFS+ format through Paragon software for Windows (if I remember well, it's capable of formatting for Mac). The demo version is fully functional for 10 days.

3. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

Unfortunately I have no way to check it on windows or linux

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm wondering if you have a bad drive cable and that was causing both the issue with the old drive and now the new one? It is a fairly common issue with these MacBooks.

Can you put that 10.6.8 drive in and see what that does.

5. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

I was starting to think the same thing. The 10.6.8 is an external wd passport drive so I can't throw it in. Is the problematic cable the long or short one?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is the one that attaches directly to the drive.

7. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

Ok thanks. If all else fails I will order one.

8. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

Okay I updated my 10.6.8 external boot hard drive to the new Mavericks 10.9.3 and installed Trim. Then rebooted and went to partition the SSD and it quickly failed saying

Partition failed with error.

Unable to write to the last block of the device. :confused:

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you were up to date with Software Update and installed the latest firmware prior to the drive crashing, then your MacBook Pro supports Internet Recovery. Try holding CMD OPT R at boot without any peripherals attached (do not have the external drive plugged in). Select your network and let it download the necessary Recovery Partition.

10. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

Update

I am pretty sure it is the HD cable as Weaselboy suggested. I grabbed the old hard drive that I thought failed and put in in a friends mac and it worked. I ordered a new Apple HD cable and it should be here in a few days. I also ordered a caddy for the superdrive slot so I can throw in a HD for more storage. I'll update a soon as the cable arrives.

11. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

OK, I got the new HD cable and bam it formatted! Big thanks to everyone for helping out!

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Good news!

13. Giom2015 macrumors newbie

I made it - Confirm cable issue !!

Hi

I got a brand new external WD HDD 2TB, same issue...I did cmd diskpart etc...tried almost everything then ! ... and as suggested and sounds completely odd, the cable is the issue.

I use my second (older) HDD cable, just use that one and it works well (partion,fornat,etc..). There is another guy who repairs disk and mentioned 10% of the time it s from the cable , not OS or HDD...I did not believe him, but after 2 days on it...I tried... ;-) damn just that.

Good luck !

14. asquaredb macrumors newbie

Problems with Samsung Evo 840 256GB

Hi,

I recently bought a SSD Samsung Evo 840 256GB to install in my Late 2011 Macbook Pro to replace the CD reader. I had Mountain Lion software up to date on my HD at the time of installation.

Today I installed the SSD to my computer and after partition I went to install the OXS and it gave me a lot of errors. It would jump pack to the recovery window after rebooting.

I installed the OSX on my HD again and it works just fine. When I went to the disk utility and checked the SSD, it gives me errors when reading the partition and it says that the disk can't be repaired. It can read the SSD, therefore it is connected properly, and I can place files inside of it but I can't do anything else.

Does anyone know what the problem is or how I could solve it?

Thank you!!

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It could be a bad cable like others in this thread had. Can you put the SSD in a USB enclosure and see if it works well there? That would eliminate the cable from the mix to troubleshoot.

16. asquaredb macrumors newbie

I don't have a USB enclosure to try it out, maybe I can get one tomorrow. Is there a possibility that the SSD is the problem? Or anything else?

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is possible, but those don't seem to have a high rate of DOA right out of the box. Only way to tell for sure is to take the cable out of the mix by trying an enclosure. There do seem to be a lot of these cable failures 2010 and 2011 models recently for some reason.

18. asquaredb macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. I will try tomorrow to see if it works and if not, I'll come back to ask more questions :D