Samsung 840 EVO Dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattLauren.M, Nov 13, 2013.

1. MattLauren.M macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased a samsung 840 evo for my Late 2011 17in MacBook Pro. I installed the drive November 5th and everything was going smoothly until two days ago. The computer started having random lock ups and sbbod. I checked the SMART status and it's says it's alright. I noticed though that when I went to try and use disk utility through my USB mavericks boot drive that sometimes the SSD would show up in disk utilities. Other times it wouldn't. And when it would show up it won't let me erase the drive. It also doesn't show up as Macintosh HD all the time either. It shows up as disk 02 as the partition or something like that underneath where it says samsung 840 EVO. One of the times it went to boot it also gave me the question mark in the folder icon. My question is is the drive defective or is it incompatible with my MacBook Pro.

2. brdeveloper, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I have a 250GB EVO installed on my late-2009 white MB around 1 month and it works flawlessly. Try testing it with other SATA case or laptop. Try formatting through Ubuntu Live CD also...

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That drive should work fine in your machine, but what you describe certainly is not right. It sounds like either the drive is bad or perhaps the drive cable is bad.

Do you have an external caddy you can put the drive in and see how it works there? That would take the cable out of the equation for testing purposes.

4. MattLauren.M thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have an external enclosure unfortunately. Wouldn't I have experienced issues right off the bat if the cable was bad. Laptop ran great for a week then all this happened. Very frustrating as I was very satisfied with the performance of the 840.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sometimes they just go bad, although you are right it is less likely the cable than the drive just being bad. I have not seen reports of the EVO dying, so I don't think it is a widespread problem. Maybe you got a bad one.

6. MattLauren.M thread starter macrumors newbie

Just my luck haha. Oh well. Getting ready to send it back now hopefully when the new one comes in I don't have any issues. It was a great drive and super fast while it was working.

7. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

If you replaced the optical drive with the SSD, that can be problematic in 2011 MBP's. If this is the case, move the SSD to the main bay and move the original HDD to the optibay.

8. MattLauren.M thread starter macrumors newbie

The SSD is where the boot drive is. I didn't want to mess with the data doubler for the optibay.

9. MattLauren.M thread starter macrumors newbie

Just found out my buddy has an enclosure I could use. What would I do to test and see if it's the drive?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Pop it in the enclosure then attached to your machine and then try the Disk Utility check in it and see what it turns up.

If the OS is still on the SSD, you can try an option key boot to the drive in the enclosure. If the OS is still intact you will be able to actually run the machine that way, albeit slowly.

11. MattLauren.M thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I took your advice and popped the drive into an external enclosure and booted into the os. Still giving me the sbbod. And running painfully slow. My seagate momentus xt 7200rpm actually boots and runs my system faster when booting from the external. I guess that means I got a bad ssd?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like a bad drive.