Samsung 840 EVO firmware update issue

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by border terrier, Jun 30, 2016.

1. border terrier macrumors regular

I have a 250gb SSD which needs updating to the latest fw, it's slowing down so this needs doing and a fw fix is available.

I have downloaded the iso image from Samsung and bunt a disk image but cannot seem to mount this from a restart. Unfortunately I have an apple wireless keyboard. I did an SMC controller reset and manage on one occasion to restart using the alt key but it only showed the SSD and the recovery drive, no CD drive.

I also tried booting from the CD but the mac just restarts as normal.Running 10.11.5 on a cMP 4.1 2009 (firmware update to show as 5.1).

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I'd try mount it to a USB stick instead, then boot from that. That's what I did for my 840 Firmware.

3. border terrier thread starter macrumors regular

OK, it seems my wireless keyboard may have been an issue. I connected the magic keyboard via USB and I was able to boot to the CD and this also allows the keyboard to work in DOS mode. All done and updated.

4. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

Hello, how did you do this successfully? I downloaded the ISO but cannot figure out how to make it bootable on an USB stick :(

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Sure, it's a pain in the butt on OS X :D These are the instructions on El Capitan.

EDIT: I went through these instructions four times in a row so I could test it works & capture screenshots as I went. Worked perfectly the first 3 times and now it keeps failing. I'm not sure if my USB stick is corrupted. Either way, I hope it works for you. :)

1) Plug in a USB stick
    2) Format the USB stick through Disk Utility. Doesn't matter what format -- FAT32, Mac Extended, whatever.
    3) Double-click the Samsung EVO Firmware ISO file to mount it.

OK, this is where things get a little weird. Screenshots below! Just bear with me.

4) On my example, I formatted my USB stick with the name 'Test'. Single-click your formatted volume on your USB stick (the lower option, often indented) to highlight it.

1.png

5) Then click Edit>Restore.

2.png

6) Select the option 'Image' for Restore from.

3.png

7) Along the left-hand side of Finder, you should see the mounted ISO file for the 840 Firmware. Mine was called CDROM (I just downloaded it a minute ago). Yours should be called the same thing :)

4.png

8) Double-click the ISOLINUX folder and then select BTDSK.IMG

7.png

9) Click Restore

8.png

10) All done! Drive should now be bootable. Shut down and hold the 'Alt/Option' on startup. You can now update the firmware.

6. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

Hi! Thanks a lot, this is the error I get:
    "Could not find any scan information ..."

7. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

When trying to mount/format through Disk Utility? Or at a different stage? Could you screenshot the error?

8. dickybow macrumors member