Samsung 840 Evo Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SadSSDMAN, Dec 19, 2014.

1. SadSSDMAN macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm new to SSD upgrades and MacRumors so bear with me (or don't bear with me and tell me if I'm wrong in any way)

So I bought a Samsung 840 Evo for my Macbook Pro (mid-2012) with a 1 TB HDD and Yosemite.

It was a rather impulse buy with very little research done as I've had previous experience with SSD upgrades with PCs and so thought things could just...work out.

After receiving the SSD, I started to research (begin facepalm) and read many agonizing stories of how this SSD just doesn't like Macbook Pros.

Now I turn to you all, the wisest in Apple Lore to seek guidance. So should I do a clean install with a USB, or should I go about cloning? Also is enabling TRIM a good idea? Also how do firmware updates work?

Or, should I return this bad boy (got it for $100, it's now $135 on Amazon) and get a Crucial or OWC instead?

Worst case scenario: Should I fess up $100 and go to a "certified" Apple technician? (I shudder at the word "certified", so wannabe professional)

2. newellj macrumors 603

Lots of views but no replies... Honestly, if it were me, I'd return it and buy a Crucial MX100 or perhaps an OWC SSD. I have an 840 EVO in my Windows desktop and it's great in that machine, but when I upgraded my Mini recently I didn't think the 840 EVO was worth the extra effort.

3. SadSSDMAN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the reply,

If only Black Friday was now :(. Such a great deal too. Will trying the SSD kill my Mac or anything and how do I enable TRIM without the kext signing. So if my Mac doesn't like the Evo, can I switch it out for my old HDD?

Before I return, I want to at least try it out. So USB fresh or cloning?

4. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

I run an 840 Evo in my MBP, runs just fine. I think there are lots of people here that would tell you similar.

Sure, SOME people will have problems and those are the most likely ones you'll hear about while the people that have zero problems just sit and chug along.

I haven't ventured to do the firmware update yet and mine works just fine. I'm no power user like some others though.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Most likely it will work just fine. Controller incompatability rarely happens.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have a 840EVO in my own system, works fine. Flashing the firmware is a bit tricky but nothing unmanageable. I have enabled TRIM on mine.

7. johnh57 macrumors regular

I have a 500gb 840evo in my 2010, with yosemite, and with trim. Getting the samsung firmware upgrade done was challenging for me - but I did eventually get it done.

Still learning the ins and outs of trim enabler, but it hasn't caused an issue yet. I did disable auto updates, as I believe you need to disable trim enabler to do an os update or a pram reset.

8. newellj macrumors 603

There's a whole thread on that currently (mentioning that for the OP). It can be done, and it should be. The 840 EVO in my Win desktop was really grinding to a halt before I ran the performance fix/upgrade. The one thing I wouldn't do is run the 840 EVO without fixing that.

9. SadSSDMAN thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I get the firmware updated using a SATA to usb or is this possible when my SSD is already inside. And TRIM enabler is a program that enables TRIM and disables kext right?

10. newellj macrumors 603

Check this thread for tips. (It's four pages, you may need to wade all the way through it to get all of the ideas and feedback.)

11. johnh57 macrumors regular

I have an internal optical drive. I was able to download the samsung firmware upgrade to the optical drive and burn it. Some have said they didn't need to rename the .iso file to .dmg, but I did. I could not get the .iso file to execute, the .dmg file executed and ran fine. I don't have a clue why.

Yes, the Cindori trim enabler disables kext signing before enabling trim.

Read the above cited thread, there are a couple of them. There are problems with doing the firmware upgrade via a usb connected external drive enclosure - as in I don't think it can be done.

12. SadSSDMAN thread starter macrumors newbie

Happy on New Year's Eve

Well I finally managed to make the SSD work. When I was doing the USB OS X installation, the SSD wouldn't appear as the HD that I wanted to save OS X to. So I had to erase and reformat and somehow, it magically started to work.

Enabled Trim smoothly and just preparing for firmware

Do I have to disable Trim for firmware updates?

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes. Anytime you want to update OSX, turn it off.