Samsung 840 EVO - Need help ASAP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habberkuk, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Habberkuk, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

Habberkuk macrumors member

Hello,

I just upgraded the HDD to an SSD in a 2010 macbook pro. Everything is working fine (or not?). I ran the "black magic disk speed test" to see if I got the results that I should get. To my knowledge, the write speed should be ~400 Mb/s and the read speed should be ~500 Mb/s. I'm only getting 257 and 270?? Is something wrong, and is it possible to fix?

2. ygys macrumors member

connect your ssd to a different computer and try to run the test again ... that way you can find out if there is a problem with your computer or disc

3. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

is it sata 2 or 3? I suppose it's 2 by the age. on sata 3 the speeds are 500-ish.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

A 2010 MacBook Pro is only SATA2.

Those speeds are normal.

In order to speeds above that, you must have an early-2011 or newer Mac.

----------

It's a SATA 2 MacBook Pro, so those speeds are already the max the OP can get.

5. Habberkuk thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the help. It makes sense now. The speeds that I'm getting are still better than the original HDD that was partly broken :)

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 13", and after putting an SSD into mine, I get speeds similar to that of the OP.

This is normal due to the SATA 2 bus. The bus itself is the limiting factor, NOT the drive's potential speed.

However, it completely transformed the Macbook.
    From the moment the "Apple logo" appears during boot, to the finder and ready-to-use, is only -5- seconds!
    Even with SATA 2...

Still running 10.6.8. Perhaps that makes a difference.