Samsung 840 Pro for 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lydian91, Dec 19, 2012.

1. lydian91 macrumors newbie

My apologies if someone has asked this before, but I couldn't find any thread that covered this specifically. I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro, and I'm looking to upgrade to a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. Are they compatible?

2. robvas macrumors 68020

3. Hexley macrumors 6502a

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Yes, but don't expect to get anywhere near the advertised speeds. Your MBP likely has a SATA II HDD interface, which means your speeds will max out at 250-275 MB/s. It should work fine, it'll just be slower.

5. lydian91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm ok, this is why I asked. I'm a little new to the SSD scene. It doesn't make sense to spend money on a drive whose performance is capped by my hardware limitations (unless there are other reasons of which I'm unaware). Is there a better/cheaper option for my computer?

6. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Where it really counts, random reads, the ssd will fly past your spinning disc, even with the sata II limit.

7. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

I will recommend you getting a sata 3 ssd even if your computer does not support sata 3 (be sure its backward compatible.

8. Hexley macrumors 6502a

lydian91 I had the same sentiments as well so I was considering the Crucial M4 SSD.

Check out the link for the feedback from those who bought it.

As I see it it's value SSD in which $/GB is more of a reason to buy it than outright top-end read/write performance. This isn't garbage mind you but it's not the top 10% either. Don't worry any SSD will be faster than any HDD we've ever tried. It will consume less power than any HDD ever made.

People with Macs that have SATA 3Gbps were getting 192MB/s write and 265MB/s read. That's quite good for a connection limited to 300MB/s write/read.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1432670

BTW there's an off chance we can upgrade our MBPro's RAM to 16GB.

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Most users in real world usage won't know the difference between SATA II and SATA 3.

10. paul-n macrumors regular

The 840 Pro is a awesome drive, which consumes not so much power. You can go for it, it will speed up your MBP.

11. cirus macrumors 6502a

Make your decision based on

1) Reliability. You do not want it to break.

2) Cost. Get the best cheap drive possible.

3) Power consumption. To increase battery life (you might see an increase of about 20-30 minutes from a power hungry drive to a power sipping drive).

Do not use performance as a metric. You will not notice any difference. Your computer is further limited to sata 2 reducing any difference you may see.

Avoid drives that are very power hungry (Vertex 4), very expensive (OCZ vector, 840 pro), or just plain bad (crucial v4).

Everything else should be good.

12. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Don't take that the wrong way. It'll still be orders of magnitude faster than your HDD, it just won't be as fast as the advertisements proclaim. So in the end, you'll still see a massive benefit from going SSD, it just wouldn't make sense to pay up for the 840 Pro because its faster than the 840 or 830, or any other drive for that matter.

You may, however, choose to go with the 840 Pro (or 830 for that matter) because they are MLC as opposed to TLC drives, as MLC drives are theoretically more reliable.

13. Mr.Outside macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

Isn't the 830 still performing better than the 840?