Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aedubber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Hey guys i was looking to install a SSD into my Mid 2011 27 inch 3.1ghz Intel Core I5 iMac. I would like to keep the HDD thats in there as my backup or storage HDD and use the SSD as my primary for everything.

I have been reading great reviews on both of these SSDs but dont know which one to pull the trigger on . Im also assuming i dont have to worry about any fan control issues do i ? Any help would be appreciated?!

I have been a Windows user for soo many years and now a mac user for a few years and love this machine ! Im still learning more about these macs so sorry for the noobness . I used to build up my own watercooled window pcs so im up for the task of doing the install of the SSD on my iMac just wondering what i might need ?

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Either the OWC or Samsung SSD is fine. I used the OWC toolkit with their cabling and suction cups. That includes everything you'd need for this and future iMac projects. I also used their step-by-step video for my 2011 iMac, which is very detailed for the upgrade.

Ifixit apparently also has good toolkits, cabling, directions, etc. But, I haven't used them.

Whichever you use, take your time and be gentle, and you should have no problem.

Aedubber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Okay great , yeah i have seen their toolkit and the DIY video they have , looks very tedious but i think i can manage doing it .

Is there anywhere on here that might have some benchmark scores against each other ? Im just trying to get the best bang out of my buck .

This would be for the 256gb Samsung vs the OWC 240gb .

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
Okay great , yeah i have seen their toolkit and the DIY video they have , looks very tedious but i think i can manage doing it .

Is there anywhere on here that might have some benchmark scores against each other ? Im just trying to get the best bang out of my buck .

This would be for the 256gb Samsung vs the OWC 240gb .

did you ever finish this install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.