Samsung 840 vs Corsair force series gs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueGoldAce, Jan 29, 2013.

1. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Looking to replace my dead hard drive in my late 2011 MacBook. I just purchased a Samsung 840 nonpro, 500 gb.

Today I found a corsair force gs 480 gb for $20 cheaper.

Which would be the better buy? I appreciate the help. I have done some looking but didn't find a straight answer.

-blue

2. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

The deal is available for today only on newegg for those who want to know.

3. bomikepa macrumors member

i have the corsair force series 3 SSD 240 gig

i have 2010 April Macbook Pro 13inch and replaced the old hdd with a sdd was a breeze and software install was flawless. I have had no problems whatsoever with this drive and have had it for about a year now. I dont know anything about the samsung drive but the one i have is great!

in fact my current machine cant even utilize the max speeds of the ssd since my machine is a bit older itself

good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Force-2-5-Inch-Solid-CSSD-F240GB3-BK/dp/B0051A8TG6

4. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Just updated, stay with the 840..

I have just updated my good intel sad with a new 840 with 500 gigs. The intel drive was great for the last two years but got too small. Did not want to loose the old CD drive either so I had to go 500 gig.
    Outstanding drive so far, especially if you have an older sata2 architecture. I would stay with the Samsung, big company as intel with good driver support and firmware updates if necessary. The big shots do not fool around in a premium segment market such as ssd. Believe me, you will be just fine with that 840.

5. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

Food for thought:

Not saying this will happen to everyone, but I bought a Samsung 840 500GB (not the Pro 512 version), and I installed it in my early 2011 Sandy Bridge 15" MacBook Pro. It worked great for a month, and then suddenly died on me. I'm getting it replaced by Samsung but for now, I bought a computer with integrated flash storage.

6. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

Does the corsair higher write speeds produce enough of a benefit? That's my main reason for considering the switch; the possible performance gains.

7. paul-n macrumors regular

The higher sequential write speeds are can't be felt, only be measured, 840 has really high IOs values, which are much more important, than sequential write.

8. xxjudgmentxx macrumors member

No. Unless you spend all day just writing files to the drive it won't make a difference to you. Read speed (and high IOPS if you have a heavily random workload) is all you need to have super snappy performance from an SSD.