samsung 840 w/full kit-stupid newb

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jwjsr, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

So I bought this: thinking it was all needed

Complete, User-Friendly Solution
    The Samsung SSD 840 Series is available with a simple, all-in-one installation kit. The kit comes with SATA data and power cables, screws, a 2.5-inch to 3.5-inch adapter bracket, a SATA to USB adapter cable to facilitate easy data migration, and a mounting spacer so that laptops with traditional 9.5mm drive bays can accommodate the Samsung SSD 840 Series’ slim 7mm profile.

Turns out, I was wrong, gotta have this too:

OWC Data Doubler SSD/2.5" Hard Drive Installation Kit for Mac mini 2011-2012 Models
    by Other World Computing
    4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews) | Like (1)
    Price: $34.99
    In Stock.
    Sold by Newer Galaxy Distribution Company, LLC and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

**** SOME DIY SSD upgrade

2. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

Thats pretty obviously talking about a complete kit to install in a laptop or desktop or replacing the standard drive in a mac mini not installing as a 2nd drive in a mac mini.

3. jwjsr thread starter macrumors 6502

jwjsr

Yeah if you read closely and not a newb it would be completely obvious

4. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

Yeah easy to mistake what it means if not read properly. if it had said complete kit for mac mini installation and didnt come with the 2nd sata/power cable then yeah that would be false advertising but that wasn't the case this time. I actually bought that owc kit myself to install my 2 240gb intel 520 series drives in my new mac mini once it arrives in a couple days.

5. jwjsr thread starter macrumors 6502

jwjsr

Funny thing is I had a gut feeling everything wasn't going to be there, so even though I was looking forward to installing it tonight I am not that heartbroken. Plus I am gonna ask if fusion will work with an external t-bolt without even opening the mini.