Samsung 850 EVO in Mid-2010 13" - Great Upgrade!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djc6, Jan 12, 2016.

1. djc6 macrumors 6502a

My sister has a Mid-2010 MBP 13" MacBookPro7,1 MC374LL/A. Over the years it has become unbearably slow with each upgrade to latest OS X.

So last night I backed up machine to time capsule, installed a 256GB Samsung 850 EVO, used a bootable USB drive for fresh 10.11.2 installation (came pre-patch with 10.11.2). Then on first boot used migration assistant to restore all her old applications, settings, etc.

WOW! It's like a new laptop! I also have a 8GB memory kit due to arrive later in the week - not sure its even necessary considering how well the factory 4GB is working.

I wasn't sure it was worth upgrading this old of a machine, but it was well worth the $70 SSD investment. Should be able to get a couple more years out of it.

No problems replacing 9.5mm HDD with 7mm SSD since its held in with screws.

2. krishmk macrumors 6502

Computer will be like new with SSD..

SSD Drives are one of the greatest inventions for speeding up computers. I have been using an SSD on windows ever since they came out, first SSD I bought was 56GB for 220+ and it was awesome.

2 Years ago, got a windows laptop, got an SSD before I bought the laptop, came home opened the laptop replaced the HDD with SDD and I am not even sure I still have that 5400 RPM in the house.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

A SSD is one of the best upgrades you can do. They really do give new life to older hardware.

4. robvas macrumors 68030

I put an 80GB Intel XM-25 in my 2010 MacBook about a year after I got it. Never went back to a spinning HD!