Samsung 850 keeps dropping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tomb01, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

I have a Samsung 850, 1TB drive. I am using it as an external repository for pictures (amazing how many you can create when you, and your family, all have cameras, phones, and tablets). Over the past few weeks it has started 'ejecting' spontaneously. I have tried multiple connections, including an external enclosure, a Seagate USB3 connection, and the Seagate Thunderbolt external drive connector, but it still keeps losing the connection to my MBP. Am currently backing it up (will take a while, have about 600GB of miscellaneous pics and family videos on it), in case Samsung decides it is bad, but thought I'd check with the forum to see if there was something I was unaware of that might be causing the situation.

Any thoughts? Tried multiple cables, ports, external connections, so am 'assuming' it is the drive.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/thoughts.

2. austinpike macrumors 6502

My nMP will sometimes have bouts of continually dropping and reconnecting external drives. Doing an SMC reset clears it up for a few weeks. For the nMP that just means unplugging it for a minute; for the MBP there is some key combo. (Curiously, the drive I seem to have problems with is also a Samsung 1TB, but it's the 840 Evo.)

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

maybe a firmware update on the drive would fix these issues.