Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
So much for OSX stability. For the most part, great, but this happens once every two weeks or so...

IMG-20110320-00220.jpg

Nothing is perfect. I happen to like Win7. we, the consumers, win here (pun intended).

So what have you done about the kernel panics? Why would you allow this to continue? Have you done a reinstall to see if it is software related? Have you run the Apple hardware test? Have you taken it to an Apple store to be looked at? Why are you wasting your time posting screen shots here instead of solving the panic issue?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Those two don't go hand in hand. It's either one or the other. You can't have everything.

That was just a counterpoint as you said it is thinner, while it is not. 0.51" is actually quite a lot when the thickest point is only 0.68". At least it is bigger than the 0.02lb difference.

Ultimate MBA has 256GB SSD whereas the Samsung has only 128GB. Not fair to compare them. Base 13" with 4GB of RAM is the closest you can get and it is still noticeably cheaper than the Samsung.

Instead of beating around the bush trying to rationalize your opinion, just do everyone a favor and tell us how you really feel, which is...

Anything the Samsung does better, isn't important.
Anything the MBA does better, is important

Does that about sum it up?

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
So much for OSX stability. For the most part, great, but this happens once every two weeks or so...

Nothing is perfect. I happen to like Win7. we, the consumers, win here (pun intended).

Well have to say that if any of my macs were crashing 'every two weeks or so' I'd take it in to be looked at. I can honestly say hand on heart my macs dont even crash every two years or so. :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Does that about sum it up?

No, because it isn't my opinion. Go look at the spec sheets, they are concrete facts. Sure, you can call that 0.02lb (9g) a difference if you want to but I wouldn't call that thinness thing a big difference either. If you are saying that twice as big SSD isn't a difference and it is fair to compare 128GB and 256GB models, then you are out of your mind. 256GB SSD alone costs 300$ extra on the MBA and around 200$ extra from aftermarket.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
No, because it isn't my opinion. Go look at the spec sheets, they are concrete facts. Sure, you can call that 0.02lb (9g) a difference if you want to but I wouldn't call that thinness thing a big difference either. If you are saying that twice as big SSD isn't a difference and it is fair to compare 128GB and 256GB models, then you are out of your mind. 256GB SSD alone costs 300$ extra on the MBA and around 200$ from aftermarket.

Specs aren't your opinion. What matters and what doesn't most certainly is.

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Specs aren't your opinion. What matters and what doesn't most certainly is.

You see I quite like the Samsung but I also really like the MacBook air so which is better. There's only one way to find out.......

Fight :D:D:D

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
So what have you done about the kernel panics? Why would you allow this to continue? Have you done a reinstall to see if it is software related? Have you run the Apple hardware test? Have you taken it to an Apple store to be looked at? Why are you wasting your time posting screen shots here instead of solving the panic issue?

i have a life. that's why. it doesn't happen often enough to warrant me taking the time to go to the lengths it would require to fix it since there is no guarantee of a permanent fix.

ALL software is glitchy just like time is money, bud.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
=bring home air,run updates...enjoy

=bring home samsung...uninstall all the crapware,install cc cleaner to try and uninstall all registry crap that add/remove leaves behind,update windows,download antivirus and spyware programs,download lastest drivers,install chrome/firefox/safari so no need for horrid ie,make system image (for when you get a virus or spyware that can't be removed and thus needing reimage)

your choice ;-)

solaris7

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
I don't want to be part of another OS X vs Windows ultimate battle, but it seems like its been a long time since some bashers used a windows laptop and played around with windows 7.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
My thoughts on Windows 7

I don't want to be part of another OS X vs Windows ultimate battle, but it seems like its been a long time since some bashers used a windows laptop and played around with windows 7.

I actually have grown to like Windows 7. I moved to OSX when I had to use Vista. That was really crap (in my opinion). I love the way I can use both on my MBA.

I can not imagine that the Samsung build quality is as good as the MBA.

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK

My partner has a laptop with Win7 on it. I personally don't like it, I don't feel it is as intuitive as OSX and I don't feel as comfortable using it. But then again my partner is a long time Windows user and cannot get used to OSX no matter how I try and convert her she is firmly in he MS camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.