Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Not giving a pass on Apple for doing that, I even said so in the comment you quoted. It was a ****** move by Apple and it's a ****** move by those coping it.

Agree. I don’t like the stupid **** Apple does under the guise of ‘improving the user experience’ when in reality it’s almost purely driven by the bottom line. I don’t begrudge them for trying to find additional ways to profit but don’t treat us customers like morons.

But like you I find it every bit as irritating, if not more, when other companies jump on that bull-**** bandwagon only after Apple has done it. Have some ****ing guts to do it yourself and deal with the possible blowback instead of waiting for Apple to take the heat. Or maybe have an original thought and do something different.

I’m generally not a Samsung fan but will give them credit over recent years for sticking to their own strategy (no notch, keeping the headphone jack, still offer removable memory). I think the hole in the display is a stupid, inefficient design but at least they’re trying something different instead of just adding a center notch.

Last edited:

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Said it in the S10 thread and will say it here...smaller holes/notches are always better but that position is just stupid. Why not push it up to the edge of the bezel and not waste pixels surrounding it?

I agree. The only reason to do it like this is because it's aesthetically better looking. Functionally, it's probably worse than the notch. That is an area where you typically have either app controls or notification icons. I'm guessing this will have some sort of huge notification bar up there making any screen space gained totally useless. I would expect the hole to look more noticeable than the notch in fullscreen apps too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.