Samsung Aiming to Release Smart Speaker to Compete With HomePod in First Half of 2018

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Like Apple, Samsung has been working on a smart speaker that will compete with the Amazon Echo and the Google Home, and the South Korean company is aiming to release it in the first half of 2018, reports Bloomberg.

Samsung's smart speaker sounds similar to the HomePod, with a "strong focus" on audio quality. Apple aimed to make the HomePod stand out with sound quality that beats out competitors like the Amazon Echo.

Apple's HomePod

One prototype in testing is said to be "between the size" of the newest Echo and the HomePod. It could come in different colors, including a matte black shade, and it has no screen but offers a light-up area on the top for visual feedback like the HomePod.

Similar to other products, the Samsung smart speaker will be able to control smart home accessories, and it will be controlled via voice assistant. It will feature built-in Bixby support, Samsung's voice-based AI solution.

Amazon's latest Echo​

Samsung confirmed its work on a smart speaker to compete with the HomePod back in August of 2017. At the time, Samsung mobile president DJ Koh said the aim was to provide a "fruitful user experience at home with Samsung devices."

Samsung is considering a price of around $200 for the smart speaker, which would make it more affordable than Apple's $349 HomePod. If Samsung is indeed aiming for an early 2018 release, the smart speaker could come out around the same time as the HomePod.

Apple originally planned to introduce the HomePod in December, but has since delayed its release until 2018.

Article Link: Samsung Aiming to Release Smart Speaker to Compete With HomePod in First Half of 2018

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
In 3...2....1....someone posits that "fruitful user experience" from from Koh quote = fruit like, say....an apple?

Reactions: geenosr

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
The main issue that I feel the Homepod will face will be the lack of third party support. While I may use Apple Music many don't. I think this thing will face many of the initial difficulties the original iPod had which was its dependency on the Mac. Once Apple opened it up to the PC it did much better.

Jbusick7944

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
I like the idea of smart speakers and less total speakers in my house, as amplifier and sound per-cubic-inch tech seems to be improving. Not to sound like a prick but $4-500 a speaker is nothing compared to some good Deftechs, Klipsch and even higher-end speakers that many of us own.
If I could swap 4 towers, 4 rears and a couple subs for a few much smaller speakers like a HomePod, I would. Oh yeah and ditching a big ol’ receiver would be nice too.