Samsung and LG screen, MBPR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanchan, Sep 18, 2012.

1. ryanchan macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm considering buying a mbpr soon, and I've also been reading through recent posts and the retention problem caught my eye. Is there a way to ensure that it's a samsung screen when I buy the laptop?
    Cheers

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

3. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I got my LG screen two weeks ago and I dont have any retention at all. Both screens are perfect these days

4. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Is there a difference other than screen resolution between the normal mbp and mbpr?
    In terms of quality is what I am implying.

5. immanuelsun macrumors newbie

Despite the retention problems, LG screen has more contrast than samsung.
    BTW, samsung screen is not IPS but PLS.

6. immanuelsun macrumors newbie

Of course there are sort of differences. RMBP uses IPS screen while MBP uses TN.
    Compared with TN, IPS screen has larger visual angle, wider color gamut and more precise color reduction. TN is yesterday news.

7. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware of what a TN screen is, I just didn't realize that the ordinary mbp is TN screen.

----------

As long as the retention problem won't deteriorate over time and is practically non-existent under normal conditions I don't really mind. Plus now that there's no way to determine whether it's a sammy screen or lg screen on site there's no point in worrying. One question though- if it does occur after I've bought it am I entitled to a new one?

8. immanuelsun macrumors newbie

Within two weeks, yeah.

9. leman macrumors 604

I had the chance to work with both Samsung and LG screens. I have the feeling that LG has better contrast. Also, my LG does have some image retention, but it only becomes evident when doing a checkerboard image test for a prolonged (like in 20-30 minutes) time. In practice, the retention is not noticeable at all, and I do work a lot with static UIs.

Your source on this? I was sure they both were IPS.

10. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

So in conclusion it doesn't really matter which screen you get as long as the retention problem isn't too obvious
    Samsung=less likely to have retention while lg=better contrast

11. buddyspencer macrumors regular

Samsung here.

Bad black level (contrast). :(

And if I view from the right side on my display I can see a little shadow in the middle of the screen.

12. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

how do you know whether it's a sammy screen or lg?
    were you able to return it or was it only noticeable after a few weeks' use?

13. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

I just purchased the LG version.

Is this going to happen after my 14 days return window?
    I am thinking of returning it because of this.

14. buddyspencer macrumors regular

It's a samsung screen.

Check it via Terminal:
    ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Output:
    LP... = LG Screen
    LSN... = Samsung Screen

I noticed it few days ago - so with the 14 day return policy. don't know what I'm doing now...

15. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

if it's bugging you then just exchange for a new one
    I wonder if I'll be able to spot such microscopic defects on site..if they even let me check on site

16. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

I've often felt that this is a very important point that often gets overlooked. There are people returning their machines right now, that wouldn't even know this problem existed if they didn't read about it somewhere. I have an rMBP with an LG screen. Up to this point I haven't noticed ANY image retention AT ALL under daily use conditions. This includes having a web browser window open for several hours against a dark background, having Xcode open for long periods with its fairly static UI, and playing WoW with a pretty fixed player UI for many many hours. I've had no image retention from the dock and none from the top menu.

What's more it looks incredible. I've never seen blacks like that on a screen ever.

Whenever I've been using a very static UI for a long time and switch to something else, I've sat peering at my desktop for several minutes, nose close to the screen looking for image retention. And I've seen absolutely nothing. And believe me I'd notice - I have an old ACD 23" which has mild image retention that stays even after turning the display off for 24 hours. I live with it, but I still notice.

Am I going to do the checkerboard test? No.

Why? Because if it shows a tiny bit of image retention on my screen, what has this achieved except cause me to fret about something I didn't even know existed on my MBP before.

Suddenly we're in the ludicrous position of people going out and buying one of the most advanced and beautiful super-hi-res color screens ever created and insisting that they absolutely must use it to display a dull dark gray solid desktop. Sure some people probably have worse IR than others and need to change their machine. But others are panicking over something they would have been blissfully unaware of and never even seen if someone hadn't told them to be upset about it.

17. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

is it only noticeable if the desktop background is dark black?
    Honestly what I'll do is use it normally for a few minutes at the shop if they let me then bring it home and use it normally for a week. If I didn't notice any IR issues then I'll just stick with it.

18. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

I'm on my 5th replacement. Just arrived this morning. Its also my 5th Samsung screen in a row, so no retention.

Its also, however, my 3rd defective screen in a row. First had strong yellow tint to the right, 2nd had strong yellow tint to the bottom, 3rd has it to the left.

This could also be perceived as being a pink tint to the opposite sides described above depending on your outlook.

Either way, just like the iPad 3rd gen, these are being mass produced to such an extent that the screen quality is suffering considerably.

Off to ring Apple to ask for my 6th.

19. immanuelsun macrumors newbie

Sorry, maybe I haven't made myself clear. PLS is samsung's solution of IPS. So it is positive that they both can be called as IPS.:D

20. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

that's not good at all. Are the defects noticeable right away or did it appear after tests?

21. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

I dont do any tests. I purposely avoid such things so that I hopefully dont notice any defects.

Unfortunately, these defects are so obvious that I notice them at the first boot screen.

All of the 6 previous iPad 3rd gens I tried all displayed similar issues, and all had screens manufactured by Samsung.

22. sahjin11 macrumors newbie

i too am looking to buy one of these soon but i seen the news post here on Mac Rumors and since then i've fell down the apple-shaped rabbit hole..

over on the apple forums it seems like a lot of the BTO ones are coming with Samsung screens, that could just be luck or it could be that Apple is using more Samsung ones at the moment..

I'm really unsure as to what to do, on one hand i think i should just buy one and see what happens, it could be fine like a user on here said most people who have never noticed it or known anything about it but then on the other hand it's my primary work machine so i really can't afford to mess around if something is wrong with it.

23. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

Good then, I guess I could ask for a exchange right away if they allow me to check it at the store
    Hope you get a normal one at last

24. jedolley macrumors 68000

I'm not going to deny any one else's experience, but my rMBP has been flawless to my eye.

This forum or forums like this one tend to concentrate on the negative, but only represent a small % of owners. I like participating in this forum because overall it's been really helpful, but it's also caused me to be more particular than I have been in the past.

When I got my rMBP a little over a week ago (BTO w/samsung screen), I couldn't help but look to see if any of the reported defects were present. Luckily, mine appears to be flawless to me (no IR, no dead pixels, no weird tinted areas, etc.).

Even though I was worried about the reported issues I bought it anyways knowing that in the end Apple would make it right, or at least that has been my experience.

25. sahjin11 macrumors newbie

thanks for the feedback, another person who ordered BTO and gets Samsung... seems common from what i've seen