Samsung announcedls a $99 Gear VR launching in November

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, Sep 24, 2015.

1. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

I actually used a coupon code from the last month and got it for 99

2. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

Damn I wish I waited! I got the inovater edition and the final one is 22% lighter.

3. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Holy hell! Gear VR is cheap already, and this new cross platform, smaller, lighter and more simplistic one is being launched for half the price? This better come out in the UK.

4. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

5. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

People saying hi res screens are useless are not thinking about vr

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I understand the value in VR but compromising the overall user experience of a mass market smartphone for functionality that will be used by a minuscule percentage of smartphone users (of whom will likely use it themselves for a very small percentage of their overall usage) is foolish IMO. Making a 'VR Edition' of a phone for those who are ready to make that compromise seems to make much more sense.

7. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

people are already having IMO Gheto fun with their Note 4's and 5's using Google cardboard and GTA V and its not even optimized for VR.

GTA V is fun Yes, is it fun in first person Yes, put on VR, and you are inside the Game. Now all of a sudden its not so easy to kill people. Or look to your side and see a terrfied hooker in your passenger seat.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That was interesting, especially the towards the end when he talked about the possibilities to come in the future.

For $99, I'll be getting one for sure. Will probably end up using it more for watching movies.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Exactly! Watching movies or other media in bed, on a plane, or train or even the dentists office. I can only imagine a long plane trip to be so much more calming immersed in your own little world.

10. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

They made it look less of a jock strap on your head. Now I have to get one for my Note 5.

11. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

I think this is amazing.

Might go back to Samsung now :D