Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, LG announced a new set of Thunderbolt 3 monitors to be officially unveiled at CES 2018. Not to be outdone at the January event, Samsung today unveiled the first curved display with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity.

The 34-inch CJ791 monitor features a 3,440 × 1,440 UltraWide QHD resolution with a 21:9 aspect ratio, while the single Thunderbolt 3 cable delivers a connectivity speed of up to 40 Gigabits per second to a range of docks, displays, and peripheral devices, including Macs and external GPUs. The Thunderbolt 3 interface also allows the CJ791 to supply up to 85 watts (W) of charging power to USB type-C compatible MacBooks.

Thunderbolt-3-QLED-Curved-Monitor_Main_1.jpg

The specs can't quite match LG's upcoming 34-inch UltraWide 34WK95U, which has a 5K resolution of 5120 x 2160 pixels, but apart from multi-peripheral connectivity, Samsung is eager to promote the CJ791's QLED display as ideal for gaming and entertainment. With "precise" performance across 125 percent of the sRGB color spectrum, a 4 milliseconds response time, and a sharp 1,500R curvature and ultra-wide 178-degree viewing angle, the CJ791 should still turn some heads at this year's CES. The company is also touting the monitor's built-in Game Mode, with a dynamic gamma setting that allows the CJ791 to adjust the color and contrast of individual scenes as they're displayed.

There's no word yet on the price of the 34-inch CJ791, but hopefully more should be revealed when CES opens its doors on January 9 for four tech-filled days at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Stay tuned to MacRumors for all the highlights.
[*]Review: LG's $1500 38UC99 UltraWide Display Offers a Giant, Desk-Filling Workspace

Article Link: Samsung Announces First QLED Curved Monitor With Thunderbolt 3

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
It’s time to support Rec.2100 12-bit colour gamuts. Enough about resolutions.

Does everyone just want to wait for Apple?

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I will never understand the appeal of curved displays. To me it’s like needing a spirit level and being given a banana.

But fair play to those who like them (curved displays, spirit levels or bananas).

I just replaced my old LG flat ultrawide for the CF791 curved model http://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/curved-cf791/ (so the model before this) and it makes a world of difference. Its shaped the same way as your eye so less moving your head from left-to-right so feels more natural.

If that sounds silly you'll probably need to experience it to appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mistasopz

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
Looks much better than that new LG monitor. Hopefully Apple's new display (though I doubt it will be ultra wide) comes out this year or this could be my next display.

Supacon

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
I will never understand the appeal of curved displays. To me it’s like needing a spirit level and being given a banana.

But fair play to those who like them (curved displays, spirit levels or bananas).

For TVs, curved displays make zero sense. They reduce the angles you can comfortably view the display from and how many people can watch at one time. They increase reflections. It’s frankly stupid.

With computer monitors that you sit close to get over a certain size, however, the angle between the middle of the display and the edges changes so dramatically that you see LCD color shift substantially and the image distorts. This is why very wide monitors need a curve. At work I use a Philips 40” 4K monitor which is great for productivity because of the height for reading code and text - but I basically can’t stand having anything at the left and right edges because the angle is so far off of normal. Newer versions of my 40” monitor are curved and I wish I had a subtle curve like that.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I like my curved television but I watch TV alone front & center in a dark room w/o windows so no reflections to bounce off and I really enjoy it.

I feel the same way about a curved computer monitor. Slightly more immersive and as these displays grow, it reduces the amount of head movement to follow a cursor or window across the screen.

iPhone_X

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017

I've used other people's large, curved TVs and they are terrible. There is no viewing angle that is good. To the sides the side closest to you curves inwards and is compressed. In the middle the display curves towards you in both directions but isn't as bad. From every angle there are horrid, bright reflective lines. At least with a glossy flat panel you can find a good spot to sit. With these it just doesn't exist. You'd have to have a very specific living room setup or a home theatre that is dimly lit.

However, I haven't used a curved monitor. I get the sense that it would be better than a curved TV, especially for a really wide display like this. I think it's because your head is closer to the center of the arc, so in every direction of the display it is more perpendicular to the direction of vision. It would probably be as bad as a curved TV from further away, and in a bright room the reflections might be annoying. In my office I usually backlight my displays and it's fairly dim so there aren't reflections, so for some people it might work. I wouldn't buy one before I tried one, though.
[doublepost=1514993153][/doublepost]
The bigger the screen, the more beneficial it is to have a curve. It all depends on size vs. distance from eye to screen. Like this one:

Screen-Shot-2014-05-30-at-7.13.16-AM.png
It's not all about size. It's more about the function of the size of the screen to the viewing distance. Also the display above is in a blacked out room, so no reflections. A display like the one in this article might work because you're sitting 18" or so from the center and can more easily position light in an office as opposed to a living room. I still haven't used one but, as I mentioned above, I bet it's better than using most curved TVs in the living room.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I dont understand all the hate on curved in this thread. For tvs curved is stupid unless you sit like you would a monitor. You'd need a 120+inch curved tv to look good at normal viewing at peoples couches.
For a minitor sitting very close curved is better to me.
Id never buy a 65" curved tv. I might get a 75 inch if its right in front of my bed

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Curved panels are great for non-graphics (video production, photo proofing) related tasks where distortion is acceptable. I wish Apple still made a consumer/pro-sumer headless computer that could take advantage of them. I have a 27" iMac + 24" Apple Cinema Display. Not ideal. I have the 24" set at a 60 degree angle. Would be nicer to have one huge curved monitor that wrapped around my desk so I had a perfect 180 degree view

NO1EYENO

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
Thailand
I just replaced my old LG flat ultrawide for the CF791 curved model http://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/curved-cf791/ (so the model before this) and it makes a world of difference. Its shaped the same way as your eye so less moving your head from left-to-right so feels more natural.

[doublepost=1514997083][/doublepost]Thank You for your experience with curved monitors, Because before I thought the World was flat.

mbezzo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2000

This. Curved TV's are beyond a fad - curved single-user computer monitors are DEFINITELY a good experience. I was skeptical due to the curved TV's being pretty awful, but we have a bunch of curved 34" displays at work now and I've been very impressed. Definitely not worth writing curved monitors off until you've given them a shot.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
We already have curved LCD displays. QLED is a marketing trick which Samsung tries to implement in the place of OLED.

Samsung used a very clever marketing term with 'QLED.' They actually used to call it 'Quantum Dot' technology for their higher end TV's, but they changed the same from Quantum Dot to QLED in 2017, which is a good move strictly in the marketing sense, but the technology is vastly similar.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

They are terrible on tvs but great on monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.