Samsung Are Flipping Out

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by JaySoul, Aug 21, 2013.

1. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well technically, if you think about some of the tablet computers that they're still selling, this follows that, in a way. I'm not sure this is bringing back the 90's, but I do think the phone is just the wrong size. I wouldn't want a Note up to my ear when talking, nor do I need a dual 3.7" screens, vertically.

3. lazard macrumors 65816

It caters to the SEA market where a lot of people still prefer to use a flip phone, especially Japan.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

This is pretty cool. I'd be willing rock a flip phone again, if it had good specs.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Even when the screen is completely broken and unusable, you can still answer and dial out calls just like the good ol' days. :D

6. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Samsung has so much money right now they're just throwing anything at the wall to see what sticks.

a premium phone
    a midrange phone
    a budget phone
    a tough phone
    a phone with 10x optical zoom
    a phablet
    a bigger phablet
    a phone w 2 sim cards
    a flipphone
    a smartwatch

Samsung engineers must be having fun right now because that company seems down to try anything

7. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

This is what makes them successful. They have so many devices that anyone can find one they like.

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Definately! I always thought it was a shame flip phones didn't really take off in the UK, most high end phones are "sliders". I always admired some of the handsets available to the Japanese markets.

9. blitzer09x87 macrumors 6502

not for me, i'm a note guy, i want big screens so this is not for me, but it's a good idea and it can be successful.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

In other words, Samsung isn't forcing every buyer to fit into the same general bin.

There are plenty of people out there who like physical keyboards, flip style, large and small screens, etc. It's nice that their needs and desires are not ignored in favor of a single mass consumer design.

Apparently you're right.

According to the latest news, Apple engineers are beginning to leave to find companies where they can do more innovation.

(We already saw that happen once when a small bunch left to help create WebOS, with its multitasking cards concept.)

11. asthamapheo macrumors 6502

it's too late now, people are addicted to bigger screens and slim phones. this phone will terribly fail and i dont think samsung will bring out more flapper devices.

12. lazard macrumors 65816

It's not marketed towards the Americas or Europe.

13. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Fixed. :)

14. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Not everyone. ;)

And I'm not belittling them because having options is great. The problem I see is that they are all variations of the same thing--very similar (materials, design, software, etc) so if you don't like any of these aspects, you tend to be shut out on all fronts. And it's not exclusive to Samsung. Many companies apply a general design theme across their entire range of products--I understand there are cost benefits but at the same time, if you don't like their design, you often won't be buying any of their products.

Regarding the topic at hand, the flip phone--too big/bulky and inefficient for my tastes--would rather have a smaller profile with one larger, stellar display vs. too lesser versions. But I'm sure there is a market for this--nice bridge device to bring former feature phone users to the smartphone world.

15. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I'd like a flip smartphone with a QWERTY keyboard but I doubt that's going to become a thing ever lol. My tech tastes are weird sometimes :eek:

16. asthamapheo macrumors 6502

i know it in china/SK but who uses flapper phones these days? no one. and... the phone has launched, if it was doing well, the company itself would've told us this.