Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung is planning to use a battery production technique normally used for electric vehicles to create more energy-dense smartphone batteries, in a move that could improve the battery life of future iPhone models, The Elec reports.

ifixit-iphone-13-teardowns.jpg
Image via iFixit

Samsung SDI, Samsung's battery and energy division, intends to use a production technique it currently uses to make fifth-generation batteries for electric vehicles (EVs) to manufacture batteries for tablets and smartphones, according to sources speaking to The Elec. Rather than the wound jellyroll method that is often used to make rechargeable batteries, the EV method stacks battery materials in layers to increase energy density by over 10 percent without taking up any more internal space.

The company is said to be modifying production lines in South Korea to be able to manufacture the new batteries, and it has already built a pilot line for the stacking method in China. The Elec proposes that Samsung could be seeking to win orders from Apple for the new type of battery. Samsung SDI has supplied batteries for MacBook and iPad models in the past, but has never manufactured batteries for iPhones. Currently, Apple's main battery supplier is China's Amperex Technology.

Apple currently uses an L-shaped multi-cell battery in the iPhone, where multiple batteries are connected to make the best use of internal space and increase battery life. Batteries with higher energy density could allow Apple to move away from the multi-cell design, free up internal space, and make the iPhone lighter without sacrificing battery life, or retain the same design and moderately increase battery life.

Article Link: Samsung Battery Technology Adapted From EVs Could Boost iPhone Battery Life

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
What good is “dense” if the batteries‘ life cycle shortens by fully charging it (like EVs)?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
What about that new sulfur batteries that are supposed to hit mass production later this year or next year? They promise 3× energy density over Lithium Batteries!
I think Lithium-Sulfur has a bright future. Another benefit is inherent safety being resistant to thermal runaway and catastrophic failure from punctures, etc.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
What about that new sulfur batteries that are supposed to hit mass production later this year or next year? They promise 3× energy density over Lithium Batteries!
There's always some cool whiz bang new battery tech breakthrough. Which never materializes to mass production. Due to some insurmountable problem or another. Until they actually scale it up to mass production and it meets the promised safety, performance and reliability standards. I'd just consider it vaporware.

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
lol - a company with a reputation for exploding batteries doing experimental battery production. Let someone else test it first.
Samsung SDI is a different company from the Samsung that produced Note 7. It wasn’t the battery’s fault that those phones exploded. The problem was with the design that packed the battery pouch too tightly not leaving any room for it to breath which resulted in the pouch getting punctured.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm speaking out of my depth (not alone in that in these forums, LOL), but it seems to me:
Obviously Samsung would benefit by selling batteries (displays, etc.) to Apple, but if they can benefit from having longer battery life in their products, seems like Apple might have to wait a year or so. (Also, being an "early adopter" has some negatives, as others have already noted.)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This seems like it’s actually a step backwards to me.

Tesla has always done the cylindrical cells (the “jellyroll”), and they’re sticking with it for their 4680 cells. They decided back in 2004, four years before they made their initial Roadster, that this was the best form factor. Other shapes heat unevenly, causing them to warp and degrade quickly. It’s also difficult to cool other shapes, lowering how many cycles they can handle. And of course thermal issues and warping cells means that overheating and catching fire is an issue with other shapes.

Other companies tried to make EVs with non-cylindrical cells, including but not limited to: LG, GM, and Hyundai.

Those companies all had issues with their batteries catching fire and had to do recalls.

My understanding is that the other companies are coming around to Tesla’s view and switching over to cylindrical cells. Doing the exact opposite move that this article is talking about.

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
There's always some cool whiz bang new battery tech breakthrough. Which never materializes to mass production. Due to some insurmountable problem or another. Until they actually scale it up to mass production and it meets the promised safety, performance and reliability standards. I'd just consider it vaporware.

This. Every year there is some new news article about some game changing battery technology. As soon they mention that the samples in the lab are promising, you have to know it's 10 years away minimum.

I'm all on board with EV cars, but I'm not holding my breath that much is going to change when it comes to replace my current EV. Fingers crossed.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Why isn’t Apple in the news about battery tech considering how important that is to their competitive advantage? Where’s the $22B in R&D going?? Ted Lasoo, Morning News, and See? Way to put a dent in the universe Tim.
Say what you will, but See and Ted Lasso were a blast. I'll be starting The Morning Show when I wrap up Ted Lasso. That said, it's possible they've already started the ground for such research. Apple tends to be very secretive about these things and all.

What good is “dense” if the batteries‘ life cycle shortens by fully charging it (like EVs)?
Depends on how long you use them for. Some of the people I know only use their phones for 2 to 3 years, tops, so it should be the best of both worlds for them

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
lol - a company with a reputation for exploding batteries doing experimental battery production. Let someone else test it first.
Alas, that also describes Apple. I've known quite a few who wouldn't touch an Apple Watch until it got to 3rd generation or later. People will generally avoid the "non-a" models in iPhones. There's always the running gag that "at Apple, you are the software tester".

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
iPhones won't have significant battery life improvements. Every improvement from the battery will be offset by more power hungry hardware, software or the phone getting thinner (yet except where the battery is). Their core business model is selling you a new phone when the old one is getting slow and the battery can't get you through the day.

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
One thing that excites me about the switch to EVs is the massive investments in battery technology. The battery is one of the likeliest parts to fail and we’ve had the current technology since the 1990s. Imagine what a breakthrough in battery tech could do- maybe weeklong battery life? It would be huge. I wonder why Apple isn’t massively investing in battery tech like they are with audio, AR, and silicon. From a cynical point of view, if batteries got too good, that would really hurt the upgrade cycle…

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
My iPhone runs boiling hot on the MacRumors forums. Imagine it with a high capacity battery running hot.

Kameechewa

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
I'd like to see this in the Apple Watch. If we assume the battery would be 10% larger that would be almost 2 additional hours on the watch.

Reactions: mihike

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
This. Every year there is some new news article about some game changing battery technology. As soon they mention that the samples in the lab are promising, you have to know it's 10 years away minimum.

I'm all on board with EV cars, but I'm not holding my breath that much is going to change when it comes to replace my current EV. Fingers crossed.

I'm still waiting for carbon nanotube batteries that are supposed to be something like ten times as energy dense and ready several years ago.

Also the less than $100 per kWh battery. Whenever checking home battery backup storage. Batteries are way more expensive than that.

Plus all the promise of Sodium batteries catching up. Making super cheap and eco friendly batteries a thing by now.

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
Everyone has access to plentiful high-proof alcohol hand sanitizer. Power my phone with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.