Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung is joining the collection of retailers kicking off Black Friday sales today, with big savings on monitors and TVs. In total, you can get up to 30 percent off sitewide at Samsung this week, with deals on everything from appliances to smartphones as well.

samsung-the-frame.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Samsung. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Samsung is encouraging users to shop through the Shop Samsung mobile app this season, which has some exclusive deals on smartphones, smartwatches, and mobile accessories. Prices on TVs and monitors should be the same on the web as they are on the mobile app, however.

Monitor deals include a new all-time low price on the Smart Monitor M8, which is actually located at Amazon. This new monitor is now down to just $399.99, from $699.99, in the Warm White colorway. At Samsung, you'll find savings on even more gaming and computer monitors.

For TVs, Samsung is offering steep $1,000 markdowns on the popular Frame TV, as well as up to $2,500 other models, including 8K TV sets. There's also a mix of audio equipment on sale, with up to $500 off select soundbars and home theater set-up bundles.

You can find all the Apple Black Friday Deals currently available in our dedicated post. For everything else, we're keeping track of all of the season's best Apple-related deals in our Black Friday roundup, so be sure to check back throughout the month for an updated list of all the most notable discounts you'll find for Black Friday 2023.

Article Link: Samsung Black Friday Sale Introduces Steep Discounts on TVs, Monitors, and More

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
The Samsung Frame is honestly a simply remarkable device. I know that for a lot of people, they look like overpriced low spec TVs but they are incredibly good at what they are supposed to do.

We got our first one a few years ago for our bedroom. I had a 32" TV there before set behind a DIY frame that had a half-silvered mirror which had worked well as a decorative but also functional bedroom television for a number of years. We'd moved to a house with a bigger bedroom though and the screen was much too small at that distance. With my wife pregnant and potentially wanting to spend more time relaxing and watching TV in the bedroom, I decided to splurge on a 55" Frame. It's wonderful. It's a reasonably ok TV when watching TV but the rest of the time, it literally feels like just artwork. It adjusts to the ambient light and turns off automatically in the dark, turning on automatically in the day. It looks nice and importantly, doesn't feel like a big black void on your wall which is something my wife always hated with TVs in the bedroom before (hence the mirror tv hack I'd done before).

We've since got another smaller one for a guest bedroom and I honestly can't wait until MicroLED technology becomes affordable and mainstream enough so that I can get the best of both worlds by having a Samsung Frame like television, powered my MicroLEDs that is as good or better than the OLED TV I have in the lounge. At that point, I'll get one for the lounge in a heartbeat.

I'm seeing more and more people I know buying Samsung Frames. It honestly feels like the future.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
My credit card offers a one-time 15% cashback from Samsung, but capped at $38. It's like good for a T9 SSD or two.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
The Samsung Frame is honestly a simply remarkable device. I know that for a lot of people, they look like overpriced low spec TVs but they are incredibly good at what they are supposed to do.

We got our first one a few years ago for our bedroom. I had a 32" TV there before set behind a DIY frame that had a half-silvered mirror which had worked well as a decorative but also functional bedroom television for a number of years. We'd moved to a house with a bigger bedroom though and the screen was much too small at that distance. With my wife pregnant and potentially wanting to spend more time relaxing and watching TV in the bedroom, I decided to splurge on a 55" Frame. It's wonderful. It's a reasonably ok TV when watching TV but the rest of the time, it literally feels like just artwork. It adjusts to the ambient light and turns off automatically in the dark, turning on automatically in the day. It looks nice and importantly, doesn't feel like a big black void on your wall which is something my wife always hated with TVs in the bedroom before (hence the mirror tv hack I'd done before).

We've since got another smaller one for a guest bedroom and I honestly can't wait until MicroLED technology becomes affordable and mainstream enough so that I can get the best of both worlds by having a Samsung Frame like television, powered my MicroLEDs that is as good or better than the OLED TV I have in the lounge. At that point, I'll get one for the lounge in a heartbeat.

I'm seeing more and more people I know buying Samsung Frames. It honestly feels like the future.
I agree the frame is fantastic. There will be competitor offerings announced at CES so we should see comparable products at lower prices in the near future.

As for microLED, I don’t see it making much of a difference, if any. The new Sammy and LG OLEDs are as bright as LED TVs (if not on paper, certainly in real life) and PQ has gotten so good across the board that most people can’t even distinguish between mini LED and OLED today.

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015
Samsung had $199 4TB 990 pro SSD in EPP and AAA. Plus Chase 20% cashback offer made it $160

Last edited:

ufgatorvet

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2010
Savannah, GA

I'm looking for a display for my small business lobby that will allow me to rotate through pre-loaded content -- pictures, facts about our business, current events, etc, etc. Would this do that? How does this differ from say the LG Gallery type TV (if at all?). Sorry if I am thrown off by the name "Frame" if in fact it is a TV.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011

Is there anything you don't like about the Frame? Or that merely bugs you? Any thoughts/knowledge of the Frame's power consumption when active?

I almost purchased one a couple years ago to have a running display of my photographs. But wondered if the novelty would eventually wear off. Or would become boring, being just another shiny thing that will lose its luster over time.

In the meantime... I've matted/framed and hung around 150 of my photos around the house. Something I and visiting guests still like after a year. But I'm still intrigued by the Frame and actually have an empty spot on the wall where it could go and work well with my framed photos on the wall.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

mjmsmith

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2023
Is there anything you don't like about the Frame? Or that merely bugs you?
I bought a Frame a few weeks ago. Its "art mode" setting didn’t work at all (the TV just turned off). Spent an hour with Samsung phone support, no resolution, they asked me to send videos of the issue, I did, then they ghosted me. I posted in the Samsung support forum, they deleted the post as a duplicate of something completely different. I sent it back.

The iOS app, which is needed for setup, crashed more than once. The TV UI feels like an OEM Windows install crammed with junk you don't want.

Having said that, at the current price, I'm tempted to let it fool-me-twice because there really isn't anything else like it. I do wish Apple would make one with Apple TV built in, an art mode driven by Photos etc, and no spyware.

Last edited:
Reactions: citysnaps

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I agree the frame is fantastic. There will be competitor offerings announced at CES so we should see comparable products at lower prices in the near future.

As for microLED, I don’t see it making much of a difference, if any. The new Sammy and LG OLEDs are as bright as LED TVs (if not on paper, certainly in real life) and PQ has gotten so good across the board that most people can’t even distinguish between mini LED and OLED today.
Ah no, that's not why I want microLED. I have an LG G3 in my lounge now and it's unbelievably bright for an OLED. For me MicroLED isn't about the brightness, it's about the lack of burn-in. You couldn't do a Samsung Frame type display with OLED as the static image would burn in. Burn in isn't nearly as bad, in my experience, as people claim (I'm on my second OLED in my lounge and my computer monitor has been a 42" LG C2 OLED for almost a year and a half now and I've not experienced any burn-in on any of my devices. But, it would definitely be a problem on a display that is literally designed to display a static image 99% of the time. MicroLED doesn't have that weakness, so you could theoretically have all the benefits of OLED without the downsides of burn-in. At that point, I'll be happy to replace the OLED in my lounge, which I'd love to do as I'd love to get rid of the black void!

I'm looking for a display for my small business lobby that will allow me to rotate through pre-loaded content -- pictures, facts about our business, current events, etc, etc. Would this do that? How does this differ from say the LG Gallery type TV (if at all?). Sorry if I am thrown off by the name "Frame" if in fact it is a TV.
What you're looking for is basically just a signage display. But any non OLED TV would work fine for that coupled with a low powered computer. Samsung do specific signage displays that are designed to be run 24x7 too. The Samsung Frame would be no better than any other TV for what it sounds like you want. Their main benefit is 'blending in' so you don't notice them when not in TV mode. A cheap, bright LED TV would likely be fine for your needs. Don't buy an OLED for that, whatever you do as you'll get burn-in if it's always the same few static images. Tangentially related to what your needs, you might like to have a look at Samsung's Flip line of business displays. They're basically digital whiteboards. The only reason I mention it is we use a couple of them in our office but when not in use as a whiteboard, we have them set to display a static image that has various company information on. It's just an image that I put together and has some info for the company and scannable QR codes that people could use to access various online documentation - company government rating, communication app etc.

Is there anything you don't like about the Frame? Or that merely bugs you? Any thoughts/knowledge of the Frame's power consumption when active?

I almost purchased one a couple years ago to have a running display of my photographs. But wondered if the novelty would eventually wear off. Or would become boring, being just another shiny thing that will lose its luster over time.

In the meantime... I've matted/framed and hung around 150 of my photos around the house. Something I and visiting guests still like after a year. But I'm still intrigued by the Frame and actually have an empty spot on the wall where it could go and work well with my framed photos on the wall.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I've never monitored the frame's energy usage but I'm sure it'll be in-line with the stated levels in the tech specs. You can set it to only turn on (and stay on) if it detects motion in the room. I turned this off as it means that it'll flick on when you enter a room, which breaks the 'magic' in my opinion. So ours are always on. They're still set to turn off when it's dark though.

Yes and no in regards to the shinyness. It quickly became something that just blended into the room and we haven't changed the artwork from the one that we first picked. But that's kind of the point; it just becomes a normal part of the room decor. We use it as a TV only once in a blue moon now too but that's more down to our tv habits. It hasn't worn off in terms of being amazing tech. We got a second one a couple of years later and I'm kind of tempted to get one of the latest generation models because they now have this fantastic matte surface that makes it look even more like artwork. I'd been talking to a friend a year or so ago about these displays and how I thought they were great. When we went to his house a few months ago for a small gathering, I noticed that he'd got one of them himself. It was the current model and he'd set it to display a photo he or his wife took on one of their recent holidays. He didn't have the border option set on so it was all just a photo and it honestly looked like it was just a large framed photo print on board. None of the other guests realised it was a TV until I asked him if it was one of the new Frames and he'd said yes.

One day, if money becomes less of an object, I'd be very tempted to get like three of them and mount them in portrait mode at the back of my office where I currently have some poster prints. Then I could effectively change the posters every now and then digitally, which would be quite cool.

While I don't have 150 photos up around my house, I do have a *lot* of framed photos mixed with some artworks up, particularly all the way up our stairs. It's something that numerous people have commented on being really nice over the years and have then ended up doing themselves too. My aim has always been for it to effectively show a 'life lived' as is done sometimes in films. If it weren't so excessive and if the Frame came in smaller sizes (both in terms of cost and in terms of what people might think), I'd be tempted to have them throughout my house allowing for photos to be rotated once a month or something!

In terms of anything I don't like. I don't like how you're basically expected to pay an overpriced subscription for the art gallery feature. You basically get a few stock pictures to choose from but if you want to get more, you have to subscribe. I've never done this. Both of our TVs came with a different selection of stock art pieces that we happened to like so we used those. You *can* use your own custom pictures but when I tried doing it before, the app was clunky. It's since migrated to a few different apps so maybe it's better now. One irritation that I did have when I tried it out before was that if you uploaded a photo of your own, it wouldn't let you choose and add digital mount boards on the TV. The mounting boards are what sells the effect for me, so that was annoying. Apparently, a workaround was that you needed to resize your images to 3840x2160 before uploading and then you would get all the different mounting options. That was when I looked into it in 2020 and it may have been fixed/changed since then. I never got round to trying it and every time I think of it, it's after my wife is already asleep in bed so I can't go pissing around with the display.

Another thing I don't like is it's not Samsung's best LED TV technology so when it comes to use as a TV, they're not as good as the top-of-the-line QLEDs. E.g. no 60Hz, no 8k (which I think would be really nice in this kind of product) and you don't get the dazzlingly bright HDR that QLEDs can do. For the cost, I would have hoped they'd update them a bit more. I rarely use them as actual TVs though, so it's not that big of a deal. Another minor irritation is when I bought my first one, I had the option of getting a pretty decent Samsung soundbar for free as a Samsung package. However, although you can pair the soundbar with the TV and control it all through one remote, the TV doesn't turn the soundbar on or off. That just felt like a lazy amount of integration. Every time we'd use the TV, we'd have to find the soundbar remote and manually turn it on. We've since stopped using it entirely and I instead got an AppleTV and paired that with the two HomePod minis we have in our bedroom, using those as TV speakers instead. Works much better.

Lastly, don't buy the 32" Frame. It's not 4k. If it were, I likely would have already given in and bought several of them for use as digital posters or photo frames.

Oh and make most mainstream places you buy these from have package deals from Samsung where you get to choose a frame for your Frame. Those frames (clip on casing for the outside) are what make the TVs look good and on their own, they can be quite pricey. Sometimes in Black Friday sales or when these are listed on less mainstream sites for cheaper prices, they don't include these snap on frames.

Sorry for rabbiting on, but as you can likely tell, I'm a big fan of the tech!

Reactions: citysnaps

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Ah no, that's not why I want microLED. I have an LG G3 in my lounge now and it's unbelievably bright for an OLED. For me MicroLED isn't about the brightness, it's about the lack of burn-in. You couldn't do a Samsung Frame type display with OLED as the static image would burn in. Burn in isn't nearly as bad, in my experience, as people claim (I'm on my second OLED in my lounge and my computer monitor has been a 42" LG C2 OLED for almost a year and a half now and I've not experienced any burn-in on any of my devices. But, it would definitely be a problem on a display that is literally designed to display a static image 99% of the time. MicroLED doesn't have that weakness, so you could theoretically have all the benefits of OLED without the downsides of burn-in. At that point, I'll be happy to replace the OLED in my lounge, which I'd love to do as I'd love to get rid of the black void!

What you're looking for is basically just a signage display. But any non OLED TV would work fine for that coupled with a low powered computer. Samsung do specific signage displays that are designed to be run 24x7 too. The Samsung Frame would be no better than any other TV for what it sounds like you want. Their main benefit is 'blending in' so you don't notice them when not in TV mode. A cheap, bright LED TV would likely be fine for your needs. Don't buy an OLED for that, whatever you do as you'll get burn-in if it's always the same few static images. Tangentially related to what your needs, you might like to have a look at Samsung's Flip line of business displays. They're basically digital whiteboards. The only reason I mention it is we use a couple of them in our office but when not in use as a whiteboard, we have them set to display a static image that has various company information on. It's just an image that I put together and has some info for the company and scannable QR codes that people could use to access various online documentation - company government rating, communication app etc.

I've never monitored the frame's energy usage but I'm sure it'll be in-line with the stated levels in the tech specs. You can set it to only turn on (and stay on) if it detects motion in the room. I turned this off as it means that it'll flick on when you enter a room, which breaks the 'magic' in my opinion. So ours are always on. They're still set to turn off when it's dark though.

Yes and no in regards to the shinyness. It quickly became something that just blended into the room and we haven't changed the artwork from the one that we first picked. But that's kind of the point; it just becomes a normal part of the room decor. We use it as a TV only once in a blue moon now too but that's more down to our tv habits. It hasn't worn off in terms of being amazing tech. We got a second one a couple of years later and I'm kind of tempted to get one of the latest generation models because they now have this fantastic matte surface that makes it look even more like artwork. I'd been talking to a friend a year or so ago about these displays and how I thought they were great. When we went to his house a few months ago for a small gathering, I noticed that he'd got one of them himself. It was the current model and he'd set it to display a photo he or his wife took on one of their recent holidays. He didn't have the border option set on so it was all just a photo and it honestly looked like it was just a large framed photo print on board. None of the other guests realised it was a TV until I asked him if it was one of the new Frames and he'd said yes.

One day, if money becomes less of an object, I'd be very tempted to get like three of them and mount them in portrait mode at the back of my office where I currently have some poster prints. Then I could effectively change the posters every now and then digitally, which would be quite cool.

While I don't have 150 photos up around my house, I do have a *lot* of framed photos mixed with some artworks up, particularly all the way up our stairs. It's something that numerous people have commented on being really nice over the years and have then ended up doing themselves too. My aim has always been for it to effectively show a 'life lived' as is done sometimes in films. If it weren't so excessive and if the Frame came in smaller sizes (both in terms of cost and in terms of what people might think), I'd be tempted to have them throughout my house allowing for photos to be rotated once a month or something!

In terms of anything I don't like. I don't like how you're basically expected to pay an overpriced subscription for the art gallery feature. You basically get a few stock pictures to choose from but if you want to get more, you have to subscribe. I've never done this. Both of our TVs came with a different selection of stock art pieces that we happened to like so we used those. You *can* use your own custom pictures but when I tried doing it before, the app was clunky. It's since migrated to a few different apps so maybe it's better now. One irritation that I did have when I tried it out before was that if you uploaded a photo of your own, it wouldn't let you choose and add digital mount boards on the TV. The mounting boards are what sells the effect for me, so that was annoying. Apparently, a workaround was that you needed to resize your images to 3840x2160 before uploading and then you would get all the different mounting options. That was when I looked into it in 2020 and it may have been fixed/changed since then. I never got round to trying it and every time I think of it, it's after my wife is already asleep in bed so I can't go pissing around with the display.

Another thing I don't like is it's not Samsung's best LED TV technology so when it comes to use as a TV, they're not as good as the top-of-the-line QLEDs. E.g. no 60Hz, no 8k (which I think would be really nice in this kind of product) and you don't get the dazzlingly bright HDR that QLEDs can do. For the cost, I would have hoped they'd update them a bit more. I rarely use them as actual TVs though, so it's not that big of a deal. Another minor irritation is when I bought my first one, I had the option of getting a pretty decent Samsung soundbar for free as a Samsung package. However, although you can pair the soundbar with the TV and control it all through one remote, the TV doesn't turn the soundbar on or off. That just felt like a lazy amount of integration. Every time we'd use the TV, we'd have to find the soundbar remote and manually turn it on. We've since stopped using it entirely and I instead got an AppleTV and paired that with the two HomePod minis we have in our bedroom, using those as TV speakers instead. Works much better.

Lastly, don't buy the 32" Frame. It's not 4k. If it were, I likely would have already given in and bought several of them for use as digital posters or photo frames.

Oh and make most mainstream places you buy these from have package deals from Samsung where you get to choose a frame for your Frame. Those frames (clip on casing for the outside) are what make the TVs look good and on their own, they can be quite pricey. Sometimes in Black Friday sales or when these are listed on less mainstream sites for cheaper prices, they don't include these snap on frames.

Sorry for rabbiting on, but as you can likely tell, I'm a big fan of the tech!

Many thanks for your thoughtful assessment - I really appreciate it!

Thinking it over...

Rygaard

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Denmark
I have The 55” and have had it for 3 years I think. I like the screen, but to be honest I expected more at that price point

1) it is next to impossible to get rid of adds on it, it took me 3 hours of research and tinkering. - I paid A lot for this tv- don’t try to force ads on me.

2. It is thick, like 2 or 3 times as thick as others, and yet they did not make it flat against the wall like a FRAME normally would be.

3. The Samsung menus still show ads - that it is impossible to get rid of, the first menu item is always some add and not my own favorite

4. I ONLY us it to display Apple TV ( to be rid of the Samsung ads ) - but every now and again some update will make the Samsung menus show on top of the Apple TV picture, and only by getting the Samsung remote, from the drawer can I remove it.

5. The turn on the art when someone is in the room / sensor, is not working at all - totally random.

6. After seeing it next to an Oled at a friends place, I feel sad.

- have had Samsungs for at least 15 years - but this is my last.

Reactions: jjp007

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I have The 55” and have had it for 3 years I think. I like the screen, but to be honest I expected more at that price point

1) it is next to impossible to get rid of adds on it, it took me 3 hours of research and tinkering. - I paid A lot for this tv- don’t try to force ads on me.

2. It is thick, like 2 or 3 times as thick as others, and yet they did not make it flat against the wall like a FRAME normally would be.

3. The Samsung menus still show ads - that it is impossible to get rid of, the first menu item is always some add and not my own favorite

4. I ONLY us it to display Apple TV ( to be rid of the Samsung ads ) - but every now and again some update will make the Samsung menus show on top of the Apple TV picture, and only by getting the Samsung remote, from the drawer can I remove it.

5. The turn on the art when someone is in the room / sensor, is not working at all - totally random.

6. After seeing it next to an Oled at a friends place, I feel sad.

- have had Samsungs for at least 15 years - but this is my last.
I don't understand, did you use the included mount? Both of mine mount flat to the wall with no gap. It's like 3cm thick, pretty much the same thickness as picture frames for a similar size picture. I can't speak about the ads as I've not noticed them but maybe that's a regional thing.

Once you experience OLED, everything else kind of looks like garbage but a permanently on display can't be OLED. Samsung have now switched to OLED for their flagship TVs and they're meant to be really good but I'm sticking with LGs for now. Hopefully Samsung will release a MicroLED Frame that can have the best of both worlds in a few years time, then I'll put one in my lounge instead of just using them in our bedrooms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.