Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Samsung really should be suing universal/paramount too.
the 1966 PADD

Attachments

• TOS_PADD_2.jpg
    TOS_PADD_2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 92

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Peace said:
Samsung really should be suing universal/paramount too.
the 1966 PADD

Erm.... Apple are suing Samsung, not the other way round.

Did you miss that part?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did you miss that part?

No. I didn't miss that part. Sorry you missed the sarcasm. :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Peace said:
ChazUK said:

Did you miss that part?

No. I didn't miss that part. Sorry you missed the sarcasm. :)

Ok then, hammer it into my thick British skull (we're normally good at sarcasm). :(

Why would Samsung sue Paramount/Gene Roddenberry for trade dress on the PADD when they've not sued Apple for that?

If your were being sarcastic, it makes more sense switching Apple and Samsung in my view. "oh apple thinks they own the design, perhaps they should go back in time and sue Paramount for copying the iPad"

Perhaps I don't understand sarcasm... /s ;)

Edit: and with that, I wish you all a wonderful evening! It's sleepy time. :D

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Ok then, hammer it into my thick British skull (we're normally good at sarcasm). :(

Why would Samsung sue Paramount/Gene Roddenberry for trade dress on the PADD when they've not sued Apple for that?

If your were being sarcastic, it makes more sense switching Apple and Samsung in my view. "oh apple thinks they own the design, perhaps they should go back in time and sue Paramount for copying the iPad"

Perhaps I don't understand sarcasm... /s ;)

Edit: and with that, I wish you all a wonderful evening! It's sleepy time. :D

Maybe it's because Samsung counter-sued Apple back in April .

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/22/samsung-counter-sues-apple/

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Maybe it's because Samsung counter-sued Apple back in April .

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/22/samsung-counter-sues-apple/

Which part of the PADD infringes on the following? (from your source article)

• Technology to optimize data transmission
  • Techniques for reducing power usage during data transmission
  • 3G technology for reducing data-transmission errors
  • A method of tethering a mobile phone to a PC

That sure makes for an interesting sarcastic jibe there..... :confused:

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Am I really the only one who seems to think that the iPad's design is just the logical end to a design problem? Stuff like that shouldn't be able to be patented.

Wow.

What else is a patent? It's a solution to an already existing problem(which sometimes is complex and sometimes not a problem at all).

If Apple's solution is the logical end to the design issue, then Apple deserves the patent for the same.

'Stuff like that shouldn't be able to be patented.' is not up to your discretion. I wonder why Apple had a logical solution and no one else. It only implies that Apple was innovative enough to craft a real-life solution to the design problem, many companies emphasised on, in the early years of tablet computation.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Wow.

What else is a patent? It's a solution to an already existing problem(which sometimes is complex and sometimes not a problem at all).

If Apple's solution is the logical end to the design issue, then Apple deserves the patent for the same.

'Stuff like that shouldn't be able to be patented.' is not up to your discretion. I wonder why Apple had a logical solution and no one else. It only implies that Apple was innovative enough to craft a real-life solution to the design problem, many companies emphasised on, in the early years of tablet computation.
Apple's "solution" to the tablet design is neither new or unique.
This is a requirement for any patent.
Remember... patents get invalidated all the time as anyone can challenge a patent in court.

Apple's community design in the EU will get invalidated as it is far to generic.
The Netherlands court has already stated this to be the case and denied Apple's claim of infringement by Samsung.

Their U.S. patent is very specific, detailed and easily recognized as an iPad.
This is why Apple will likely fail to win any design patents suits in the U.S. against Samsung or Motorola.
Neither of their devices look like the registered design for the iPad.
Similar shape yes, but it ends there. All the other elements are missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.