Samsung Dises Mac Users [Does not provide Lion driver for printer]

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by palmharbor, Jun 6, 2012.

1. palmharbor, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012

palmharbor macrumors 6502

Got a preowned Samsung ML-1430 only to find out when I got it home that there is no software for LION and they have no intention of providing it in the future.
    I would urge readers to pass up Samsung and send them a message....U don't support older products..then drop dead.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's also a 10 year old printer.

A new laser printer; Brother for example with Lion support can be had for $49 when on sale.

Besides why didn't you find out if it was supported before you bought it?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Thread moved and title clarified.

B

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

iCloud doesn't support OS X Snow Leopard. Are you going to boycott Apple?

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not exactly an apples to oranges comparison. The analogous situation would be if Apple didn't allow iTunes to run on Lion.

I agree with the comment on Brother printers. I have a Brother laser that was new back in 2001. It's been supported with OS 9 and every version of OS X (besides the beta).

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

The irony is that the first google result of "Samsung ML-1430 OSX LION" tells you how to get this printer working on Lion. Classic PEBKAC...

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

It still amazes me how people can't seem to fathom how to do the simplest of Google searches.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Seeing as how Apple owns CUPS and seeing as how the solution to the lack of a manufacturer's driver is to use CUPS, it is difficult to make the argument that Apple is the problem.

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Who said Apple was the problem? I don't understand the point.

The OP was blaming Samsung for not supporting an old printer on the latest OS.

Olly countered with an analogy about iCloud not being compatible with Snow Leopard.

I pointed out that this analogy doesn't fit. A more appropriate (and hypothetical) argument would be if Apple didn't allow iTunes to run on Lion. Even now, that's a somewhat awkward analogy. Upon further thought, it would be akin to Apple not supporting older Macs with the latest OS ... for instance, my wife's CoreDuo Macbook is stuck on Snow Leopard and won't run Lion.

Anyways, it's a moot point since we now know that this particular Sammy printer is compatible with Lion. We can all go back to praising/slamming Samsung as our ideology dictates. ;)

ft

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

There should be a common sense test before one is allowed to use the internet. Could the admins of this site not include one into the registration process?

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Palmharbor also believes s/he has a 2012 Mac Mini so.....

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You claim to believe that Apple is not the problem, yet you labor mightily to find analogies in which Apple is the problem. Uh-huh.

13. palmharbor thread starter macrumors 6502

ML 1430 No drivers

Someone posted they got the issue fixed but offered no details what so ever.
    The idea of this site is to support others...no details hardly passes the smell test.

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Apple doesn't support my HP Color Laserjet 1600 either. Do you think I care?, NOPE! I use my PC when I need to print color. This is only one of the many reasons I will never give up on Windows PC's

15. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Err, this guy linked to an Apple Discussions page that solves the issue, step by step. Another poster in that thread indicates the fix works for Lion and Mountain Lion. What more do you need?