Samsung Dises Mac Users [Does not provide Lion driver for printer]

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Got a preowned Samsung ML-1430 only to find out when I got it home that there is no software for LION and they have no intention of providing it in the future.
I would urge readers to pass up Samsung and send them a message....U don't support older products..then drop dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
It's also a 10 year old printer.

A new laser printer; Brother for example with Lion support can be had for $49 when on sale.

Besides why didn't you find out if it was supported before you bought it?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
iCloud doesn't support OS X Snow Leopard. Are you going to boycott Apple?
Not exactly an apples to oranges comparison. The analogous situation would be if Apple didn't allow iTunes to run on Lion.

I agree with the comment on Brother printers. I have a Brother laser that was new back in 2001. It's been supported with OS 9 and every version of OS X (besides the beta).

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
The irony is that the first google result of "Samsung ML-1430 OSX LION" tells you how to get this printer working on Lion. Classic PEBKAC...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Not exactly an apples to oranges comparison. The analogous situation would be if Apple didn't allow iTunes to run on Lion.

Seeing as how Apple owns CUPS and seeing as how the solution to the lack of a manufacturer's driver is to use CUPS, it is difficult to make the argument that Apple is the problem.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Seeing as how Apple owns CUPS and seeing as how the solution to the lack of a manufacturer's driver is to use CUPS, it is difficult to make the argument that Apple is the problem.
Who said Apple was the problem? I don't understand the point.

The OP was blaming Samsung for not supporting an old printer on the latest OS.

Olly countered with an analogy about iCloud not being compatible with Snow Leopard.

I pointed out that this analogy doesn't fit. A more appropriate (and hypothetical) argument would be if Apple didn't allow iTunes to run on Lion. Even now, that's a somewhat awkward analogy. Upon further thought, it would be akin to Apple not supporting older Macs with the latest OS ... for instance, my wife's CoreDuo Macbook is stuck on Snow Leopard and won't run Lion.

Anyways, it's a moot point since we now know that this particular Sammy printer is compatible with Lion. We can all go back to praising/slamming Samsung as our ideology dictates. ;)

ft

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
It still amazes me how people can't seem to fathom how to do the simplest of Google searches.
There should be a common sense test before one is allowed to use the internet. Could the admins of this site not include one into the registration process?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
There should be a common sense test before one is allowed to use the internet. Could the admins of this site not include one into the registration process?
Palmharbor also believes s/he has a 2012 Mac Mini so.....

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Who said Apple was the problem? I don't understand the point.

I pointed out that this analogy doesn't fit. A more appropriate (and hypothetical) argument would be if Apple didn't allow iTunes to run on Lion. Even now, that's a somewhat awkward analogy. Upon further thought, it would be akin to Apple not supporting older Macs with the latest OS ... for instance, my wife's CoreDuo Macbook is stuck on Snow Leopard and won't run Lion.

Anyways, it's a moot point since we now know that this particular Sammy printer is compatible with Lion. We can all go back to praising/slamming Samsung as our ideology dictates. ;)

ft
You claim to believe that Apple is not the problem, yet you labor mightily to find analogies in which Apple is the problem. Uh-huh.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
ML 1430 No drivers

Someone posted they got the issue fixed but offered no details what so ever.
The idea of this site is to support others...no details hardly passes the smell test.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Apple doesn't support my HP Color Laserjet 1600 either. Do you think I care?, NOPE! I use my PC when I need to print color. This is only one of the many reasons I will never give up on Windows PC's

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.