Samsung Display looks grainy; help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Aug 28, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I just bought and hooked up an external Samsung (1920 x 1080) to my Macbook Pro 17. I used the Monoprice minidisplay port adaptor and an HDMI cable.

While everything works fine, and the resolutions and set to the appropriate resolutions for each monitor, the text and images look fuzzy and grainy on the samsung panel. They look fine on the macbook pro.

Does anyone know if there are any settings I need to adjust? I went through the settings but didn't see anything that helped.

This is the monitor I use:
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11483491&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

2. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

OK, so it appears to be an issue with OSX. When I use bootcamp and hook up the monitor, everything looks great.

Is this an issue with that "font smoothing" that everyone is talking about? The monitor came with a DVD with a setup and drivers. However, it is a *.exe and will not run in OSX.

3. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Fonts are handled a little different in OSX and in Windows, I prefer the softer look in OSX but that is besides the point.
    If you said it was in images too then it is not font smoothing, heck you said you liked what you saw on the MBP and that has the same font smoothing.

I would just make sure your running the right (1920x1080) resolution to the monitor, also try doing extended desktops vs mirroring.