Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The QHD SuperAMOLED on my Note 4 and on my friends S6 Edge are the two best displays I have ever seen.

Ever since the day in 2010 when I tried a I9000 Galaxy S in store I loved AMOLED. The Nokia N8 that I had later that year also, stunning AMOLED vs. the higher res 854x480 LCD TFT in my Xperia X10.

In 2011 got the Galaxy S2 and I was gobsmacked at how gorgeous it was, same with my S3....then Samsung brought the S4, with a stunning HD1080P SuperAMOLED, if I am not mistaken, Samsung at this point had reached a whole new level in AMOLED quality. I went from the S3 to the S4 and simply could not believe how sharp and crystal clear that panel was.

From the S4 up, Samsung became untouchable, the Note 3, S5, Note 4 etc...just pushed Samsung further and further ahead.

I must say though...I am a big fan of higher saturation, from the day I got the S2, I went to Screen Mode in every Samsung I got and set it to 'Dynamic', which is now known in the >2014 Samsungs as 'AMOLED cinema'. No other mode does it for me.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I wasn't picking a phone based on the display..i was just making an observation..the whites on the Note 5 are yellow, while on the Edge Plus and the 6 Plus they were much more realistic white

Sorry if I implied my post was referring to your observations...not my intention but rather directed at another poster who never misses a chance at touting the praises of the 'almightly' Samsung, usually at the expense of anything Apple. ;)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Guess I will find out soon enough if this is true or not.

The S6 cranks out the a max Brightness of 542 – 784 cd/m2.

Note 5 is Brightness of 556 – 861 cd/m2

And both get dimmer in low light so your eyes aren't scorched during bedtime browsing.

For the record the iPhone 6+ has Max Auto Brightness of 566 cd/m2.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The S6 cranks out the a max Brightness of 542 – 784 cd/m2.

Note 5 is Brightness of 556 – 861 cd/m2

And both get dimmer in low light so your eyes aren't scorched during bedtime browsing.
I'm very happy with my S6 edge in sunlight to be fair. Note 4 was fine too. Even in spain last month i had no issues at all. Was as good as you can expect.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I hope we have not forgotten that Samsungs also adjust their screen tone to save power, and that can also affect the way whites are displayed as white makes an AMOLED eat a lot of power.
qs0eMJa.jpg

Reactions: Six8

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Flexible & folding displays .... plus there's always room to enhance things like outdoor visibility and power consumption through new advances - even if things like resolution and such remain the same.

Diamond matrix is reportedly a massive improvement over pentile for example.

So yeah there will always be things they will improve no matter how good we think a display is now :)

Folding displays is where it's at. I can't wait to see the end of the tablet.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Display Mate have claimed the Note 5 to have the best display of any smartphone. It shows though that it is all about personal preference.
It's like walking into a store with a row of TV's these day's, all LCD's, panels can even be made by the same manufacture, but the picture processing varies so much that all the displays have different pictures.

I'll check out an Edge Plus when I see one.

BTW what's P OLED?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The S6's screen brightness range is phenomenal. In sunlight, juice it up and you're good. At night, slide it all the way down and it's easy on the eyes.

One of the many reasons I love the S6 screen.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
I really feel like if Apple stepped up their display game on the iPhone, much more people would appreciate what the design of iOS 7-onward has to offer. Looking at an iPad Air 2 next to iPhone gives you a hint of what they COULD do with the phone.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I really feel like if Apple stepped up their display game on the iPhone, much more people would appreciate what the design of iOS 7-onward has to offer. Looking at an iPad Air 2 next to iPhone gives you a hint of what they COULD do with the phone.

Aren't Samsung the leaders in SAMOLED screens and are responsible for provided these displays to a large portion of the mobile industry? Samsung holds back the best stuff they have for themselves (don't blame em for that either) so Apple will have a tough time trying to match that quality.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Aren't Samsung the leaders in SAMOLED screens and are responsible for provided these displays to a large portion of the mobile industry? Samsung holds back the best stuff they have for themselves (don't blame em for that either) so Apple will have a tough time trying to match that quality.

Samsung has certainly been the most aggressive in making AMOLED viable and now the display tech leader.

Though I think their efforts serves two purposes; one is marketing and benefiting their own phones, but two being a showcase for companies who source from Samsung.

I'd be giddy if Apple used S6 class displays in the iPhone.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
A lot is user interpretation.
I am sitting here looking at a UHD photo on the iPhone 6+, the S6 Edge, and the Note 5.
My S6 Edge screen has a slight yellow tint to it compared to the 6+ and Note 5.
Personal casual looking impression: Note 5 wins. It is followed by the 6+. The yellow tint on the Edge in comparison detracts when compared in a group.
Individually, they are all good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.