Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
0SeIhRu.jpg

Samsung Electronics’ Q2 operating profit is projected surpass that of Apple. In fact, it’ll be more in line with Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, and Google’s operating profits put together.

To put it in perspective, Samsung Electronics’ biggest rival, Apple, is estimated to have made $10.55 during the same quarter; in fact, Samsung’s $11.6 to $12.3 billion figure is said to be similar to the operating profits of Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, and Google combined. The total operating profits from these four companies during Q1 was around $11.15 billion. Other large corporations like Exxon Mobil and Walmart are unlikely to pass the $10 billion mark, the report claims.

Android Authority

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So now when the Apple apologists bring up profits as a measuring stick.......
Samsung beats them in sales and profits.
To put it in perspective, Samsung Electronics’ biggest rival, Apple, is estimated to have made $10.55 during the same quarter; in fact, Samsung’s $11.6 to $12.3 billion figure is said to be similar to the operating profits of Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, and Google combined. The total operating profits from these four companies during Q1 was around $11.15 billion. Other large corporations like Exxon Mobil and Walmart are unlikely to pass the $10 billion mark, the report claims.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yet their phone/tablet sales declined heavily, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Samsung also make screens and other components such as RAM & SSDs, most of which helped bolster their profits.
why so defensive? Samsung has a very diverse set of products and services and industries they are involved in. Why does that matter? Why does it matter how they amassed their profits?

Reactions: torana355

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
why so defensive? Samsung has a very diverse set of products and services and industries they are involved in. Why does that matter? Why does it matter how they amassed their profits?

Well, it doesn't matter at all. But if you're comparing Apples to apples, as you implied in your first post, then it's somewhat disingenuous to then move the goal posts by saying 'profits are profits' and imply "this should teach the Apple fanboys".

Somebody could sell one bespoke phone but make ten trillion on drug sales. It wouldn't mean jack.

Look, don't get me wrong. Both companies are great. Samsung's components slay and their screens/SSDs are second to none. But reading your original post really gives the wrong impression.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well, it doesn't matter at all. But if you're comparing Apples to apples, as you implied in your first post, then it's somewhat disingenuous to then move the goal posts by saying 'profits are profits' and imply "this should teach the Apple fanboys".

Somebody could sell one bespoke phone but make ten trillion on drug sales. It wouldn't mean jack.

Look, don't get me wrong. Both companies are great. Samsung's components slay and their screens/SSDs are second to none. But reading your original post really gives the wrong impression.
Well to be honest Samsung sells more phones than Apple does. Then Apple sells more than just phones too.
Then to be more specific there is one poster that hangs out here in the alternative section that ALWAYS brags about Apple's profits....... so now that point is moot.
But profits are profits......investors and the like care about the bottom line.
Apple has more cash reserves than anyone else I believe...so they are not hurting by any means.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Then to be more specific there is one poster that hangs out here in the alternative section that ALWAYS brags about Apple's profits....... so now that point is moot.

Haha yes, but the excessive fanboys are just as intolerable as the excessive haters. If you're using this sort of news as a "ha, I got you!" to those types of people, then really they've already won, because you've taken the bait.

People who carry extreme opinions for either side aren't looking to expand their knowledge or have a reasonable discussion. So there's no need to shift your opinion or your reaction of news to cater for the fanatical. I find it's easier just to ignore them. :)

Both companies are great and constantly pushing each other means better products for the consumer, no matter what ecosystem you're in. We should be happy with that knowledge!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Haha yes, but the excessive fanboys are just as intolerable as the excessive haters. If you're using this sort of news as a "ha, I got you!" to those types of people, then really they've already won, because you've taken the bait.

People who carry extreme opinions for either side aren't looking to expand their knowledge or have a reasonable discussion. So there's no need to shift your opinion or your reaction of news to cater for the fanatical. I find it's easier just to ignore them. :)

Both companies are great and constantly pushing each other means better products for the consumer, no matter what ecosystem you're in. We should be happy with that knowledge!
I agree with you to a point. I know he will read this. But most of us do not engage him as it is pointless. So we do ignore him :) But he still drones on with his profits mantra lol

I agree both companies are great and they push each other to produce great products. All of us benefit from that competition.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If Samsung had better long term support, I would buy damn near every thing Samsung and have my home in a mostly Samsung eco-system. But I'm afraid if I buy a Samsung smart washer/dryer, smart fridge, and etc, the software for those products will not be updated for the long term and eventually become obsolete. For now I'll stick with just the Phones and TVs.

Reactions: jamezr

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Good for Samsung. I wonder what divisions sold well? I wonder if it was the chips again? We still don't have any figures for the S8. I guess they will come out soon though.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
What is fascinating with Samsung is how they are not too highly dependent on one division doing well.

It has not even been a year since the Note 7 debacle yet look at them about to post higher profits than some of Silicone Valley's finest put together.

This company makes an excellent an example for a business case study.

They have not only had the Note 7 debacle but also a major arrest of the CEO, these last 12months have been filled with drama for them yet due to their excellent products in a vast amount of areas from chips, memory, smartphones etc etc... they are still running very healthy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Good for Samsung. I wonder what divisions sold well? I wonder if it was the chips again? We still don't have any figures for the S8. I guess they will come out soon though.

Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Note 8 will bring this year. I think that's going to be the real contender and Samsung immensely wants to rebound after last year's debacle. But they make a good product and they have come along way with their Galaxy line.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Glad Samsung can finally see the fruits of their labor...I applaud a company who continues to innovate and is providing screens, memory, and cpu designs:D:D:D:D:D for everyone including the major big players in the mobile industry..................

Reactions: Tsepz and Demo Kit

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple apologists? Profits is still a good yardstick when saying apple is going downhill as has been said much in my short tenor here. In the context of MR conversations I could care less about how their washing machine/refrigerator division is doing profit wise. Or better yet compare the total revenue/profits of samsung phone related ecosystem to apple related ecosystem, for an apples to apples comparison (pun intended).

Of course, the valuation toward 1 trillion dollars says something.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
What is fascinating with Samsung is how they are not too highly dependent on one division doing well.

It has not even been a year since the Note 7 debacle yet look at them about to post higher profits than some of Silicone Valley's finest put together.

This company makes an excellent an example for a business case study.

They have not only had the Note 7 debacle but also a major arrest of the CEO, these last 12months have been filled with drama for them yet due to their excellent products in a vast amount of areas from chips, memory, smartphones etc etc... they are still running very healthy.
Exactly...they have diversified their offerings. They innovate more than any other company out there.
They are posting higher profits than anyone else right now.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Note 8 will bring this year. I think that's going to be the real contender and Samsung immensely wants to rebound after last year's debacle. But they make a good product and they have come along way with their Galaxy line.

The S series has always sold significantly more than the note series. However last year there was a lot of demand for the note 7 and I think had it not gone the way it did the note 7 would have sold a lot more than any note before it.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
In the context of MR conversations I could care less about how their washing machine/refrigerator division is doing profit wise

You could care less you say.. so you you currently do care a small ammount about Samsung washers. Interesting....
[doublepost=1498030877][/doublepost]
But I'm afraid if I buy a Samsung smart washer/dryer, smart fridge, and etc, the software for those products will not be updated for the long term and eventually become obsolete. For now I'll stick with just the Phones and TVs.
Just throwing it out there, but you can't compare a washer with a phone. A washer will still wash clothes on all the temp settings and timings etc till the end of time. They are not announcing new 3d cameras etc for a washer. Trust me you are not missing out if your washer has 2 yr old software. Obsolete is a word never used for washers and driers. #notallaboutthewcosystem

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You could care less you say.. so you you currently do care a small ammount about Samsung washers. Interesting....
[doublepost=1498030877][/doublepost]
Just throwing it out there, but you can't compare a washer with a phone. A washer will still wash clothes on all the temp settings and timings etc till the end of time. They are not announcing new 3d cameras etc for a washer. Trust me you are not missing out if your washer has 2 yr old software. Obsolete is a word never used for washers and driers. #notallaboutthewcosystem
#unlessthewasherexplodes, which is not innovation.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I'm speaking on the Smart functions.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
One could #firstworldproblems to smartphones. Get a dumb phone then.
Talk about going off on the most bizarre tangent. Your comment has zero relevance to the debate about a washer being obsolete without a software update. I don't think I've ever heard any thing so rediculous in many a year. Does the washer still perform the duty it was designed to do, if yes, then it is not obsolete, thank you and good night

Reactions: FFR

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

Because the Samsung fanboys are jerking off to this news thinking it's only Samsung Mobile that made this amount of money. Samsung makes fridges and washers and dryers and every damn thing you can think of. Not just Galaxy phones and Notes. The fact that Android blogs are reporting this is making people think that it is Samsung Mobile. You know it and I know it.
[doublepost=1498148388][/doublepost]A better comparison would be to compare sales and profits from Samsung electronics divisions such as computers and phones to Apple, since Apple doesn't make washers and dryers and appliances and TVs and stuff. Once again, I'm back to making my age old argument about cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.