Samsung Eternity Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Numbers, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Numbers macrumors newbie

Hello,

In the near future, I will be purchasing a new cell phone. I am currently on a family plan with my Mom on AT&T, I myself having a Motorola Razr V3xx (awful phone). In June, the contract will expire and I will be able to replace it with a new one.

Anyways, I was looking around, and I have my eye on the Samsung Eternity. The AT&T Website has it listed for $129.99 with a 2-year plan, while Amazon lists it for only $0.01! Will the phone from Amazon work on my plan? Are there any hidden fees or contracts since it's only $0.01?

AT&T: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+Eternity&q_sku=sku3130239

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Eternity-a867-Phone-Black/dp/B001KN384G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1240352405&sr=8-1

Thanks!

2. MLeepson macrumors 6502

I have the Eternity, if you buy it from amazon, it should work with your account. But, "if it's too good to be true--it is," you should call the seller.

Honestly, the phone is a piece of junk. over half of the icons on the menu, require an extra fee. The screen gets scratched VERY easily. The touch screen is not to responsive. The camera is pretty good (has a ton of options) but is very slow.

The LG Vu, which may actually be cheaper, is a nice phone. It does have a giant antenna for mobile tv, but you simply don't have to use it.

You should go to the AT&T store and play around with the phones to decide.

3. Numbers thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The seller is Amazon.com not a 3rd party in amazon market....

The Catch is:

Conditional $250 Discount
    The purchase price listed above reflects a $250 instant discount based on your agreement to maintain service with the selected carrier. Please note that if you deactivate this device, cancel your line of service, or reduce the value of your service plan within 181 days of the activation of your service, you will be subject to a charge of up to $250, plus tax. Read more details here. Third-party resellers are prohibited from purchasing cell phones or data cards/modems on behalf of customers. **Purchase limit of five (5) devices per household.**

Bolden part is my doing.... To point out the catch of the 1 penny price

5. Numbers thread starter macrumors newbie

No, we don't plan on deactivating or switching from AT&T anytime soon. Best service in the area!

6. Tigret macrumors newbie

Heads up on the Eternity, though: I've yet to find a way to use iSync with it, which means a rather laborious process of getting contacts and calendar into the phone from a Mac. If anybody knows better, I'll step down on that, but whatever the phone's merits, I hate mine: I want to know why it can't just play nice with iSync. Whatever Razr's sins (and they are doubtless many) it did work with iSync!

7. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I got the Eternity, thinking it would be an amazing phone. I was totally wrong. The touch screen is terrible, because it is resistive. Very hard to use, especially when using the qwerty keyboard. Arguably though, I came from an iPod touch, so perhaps my standards are too high.
    Oh and live a previous poster said, the screen gets scratched so fast. Had it for less than a week and it developed major scratches limiting usability.
    Ended up getting an iPhone. :p

8. DEVILMAYCRY99 macrumors newbie

The seller is Amazon.com not a 3rd party in amazon market....

The Catch is:

Conditional $250 Discount
    The purchase price listed above reflects a $250 instant discount based on your agreement to maintain service with the selected carrier. Please note that if you deactivate this device, cancel your line of service, or reduce the value of your service plan within 181 days of the activation of your service, you will be subject to a charge of up to $250, plus tax. Read more details here. Third-party resellers are prohibited from purchasing cell phones or data cards/modems on behalf of customers. **Purchase limit of five (5) devices per household.**

Bolden part is my doing.... To point out the catch of the 1 penny price

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

It's a decent phone, but the amazon deals im pretty sure only apply to NEW accounts.

10. Chele macrumors member

Also, Amazon cannot do family plan upgrades. So, if you're on a family plan, you can't buy through Amazon. You can only upgrade through them if you're a new customer or upgrading just a single line.