Samsung EVO 840 seems to be running slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SoonerChris, Dec 2, 2014.

1. SoonerChris, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014

SoonerChris macrumors member

SoonerChris

Just upgraded my mid 2009 MBP to a SSD drive. As well, I have Trim Enabler running as expected. I was thinking I would get 400+ speed both read and write but they are barely over 200. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Is your computer a SATA II interface? That would account for the slower speeds vs. SATA III.

3. SoonerChris thread starter macrumors member

SoonerChris

If it were SATA II I would have a 3Gbps connection, correct? If so, that's IS what's slowing the speeds. So around 200 MB/s is where I'm going to top out?

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Your Mac does have a SATA 2 interface, therefore the max speed is ~270 Mb/s.

But this is NOT what is important.

Courtesy "VirtualRain" :

"The problem with assessing storage speed is that vendors always publish sustained transfer rates (STR) or in other words, max sequential read/write speed. A typical laptop HD has a max STR of about 100MB/s. A modern SSD can do about 500MB/s. And you'd think, wow, that's 5x faster. And you're right, but that's not even close to the reason SSD's seem so fast.

The fact is, as I stated in my long essay a few posts back, is that most desktop usage is random small block I/O. On this kind of storage profile, access time becomes king... not STR. Now a typical laptop HD has an access time of around 5-8ms with extreme values of perhaps 100ms or more if the head happens to be on the wrong part of the disk. On the other hand, SSD's have access times around 0.04 or 0.05ms. Thats 100X better performance than an old-fashioned HD.

So the reason SSD's are game changers, is not the fact that they have 5x the sustained sequential transfer rate of an old HD. It's the fact that they have 100x less latency for random I/O. (Although as I said above, that 5x STR improvement coupled with RAID0 can become a game change for managing large media files)."

5. SoonerChris thread starter macrumors member

SoonerChris

Thanks. At least I'm getting better speeds than my 5400rpm spinning disk.

6. Abdl1, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014

Abdl1 macrumors newbie

Samsung EVO 840 seems to be running slow

I was about creating a thread for same problem im facing too. I did the upgrade yesterday and got this
    [​IMG]. Is it normal? Its a 120gb samsung evo ssd on a 2012 mbp non retina

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No that's not normal. I have a 2012 cMBP as well with a 500GB EVO and it pegs the meters. Is yours installed internally or externally?

8. Abdl1 macrumors newbie

Its installed internally. U said 500GB. I suppose speed increases with size of drive...am i wrong?

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The size of the drive should have no significance on the speed. How long has it been installed for and did you put a TRIM Enabler on it?

10. Abdl1 macrumors newbie

Just for a day. And yeah,trim is enabler

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right, those are the speeds you're limited to with that older Mac.

Something isn't right then. By what method did you install OS X? Was it a clean install, a restore from Time Machine or via Carbon Copy Cloner or other software?

12. Abdl1 macrumors newbie

It was a clean install...i hope my ssd is not faulty

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Are or were there any other external or internal drives connected when you ran the test?

14. Abdl1 macrumors newbie

No there isnt. Just a USB modem

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Have you tried a reboot and retesting?

16. Abdl1 macrumors newbie

I have. What are the speeds that its supposed to clocked?

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This is what I get on my 2012 cMBP with the EVO.
    DiskSpeedTest-EVO.png

18. Abdl1 macrumors newbie

What could be the problem then? Or do i need to run the samsung data restore thingy?

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not really sure what the issue is at this point. All I have left is to try re-installing OS X again or, that, perhaps, the SSD is faulty.

Does it have the latest firmware on it?

20. Abdl1 macrumors newbie

Im not sure of how to check its firmware. But im thinking of doing the samsung ssd performance restoration thingy. Whats the catch

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's in System Information under the Samsung drive. I forget precisely where though, since I'm at work and don't have any Mac's near me to look at.

22. Abdl1 macrumors newbie

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Close, but it's not showing the firmware version.

24. Abdl1 macrumors newbie

Ok i just did a Performance restore off a cd. But im still getting same result. This is starting to bother me

25. domain macrumors member

The 120GB drive is measurably slower than the larger models in write performance (can be something like 25% slower in some cases), though your results still seem lower than expected.

The "restoration" software upgrades the drive to the latest firmware, and then does some data manipulation... otherwise "older data" (>30 days or some such) has horrendous read performance. On my 250GB EVO... before restoration I had seen performance drop to < 200mb/s, after back to 520 mb/s.

In your case hard to say... are you sure your disk is essentially idle when running the test?

In the absolute worst case...if you are really concerned, and willing to backup/reinstall, you can try to use Samsung's utility to "secure" erase the drive and then reinstall/restore your data... I have seen that resolve slowness issues in the past, but it may/may not have any impact in your case.