Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougsee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
I've been trying to get a new 500 GB Samsung EVO SSD to mount to both a MBP Mid 2010 as well as a MBP Mid 2012 (which is the computer that will be upgraded) with no luck. I updated my Mid 2010 back around Christmas time, and I don't remember having this problem.

Nothing shows up in Finder or Disk Utility when I plug the HD into the computer using the same SATA/USB cable that I used on my past upgrade. The cable was tested with another drive, and my computer detected it right away. I thought something might be wrong with the HD, so I exchanged for another it, but I'm running into the same issue with the replacement.

I also tried to get the computer to detect it when I accessed Disk Utility in Internet Recovery, but it was not there.

Has anyone ran into the same problem? Any solutions out there?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Has anyone ran into the same problem? Any solutions out there?
I have one external enclosure that doesn't work with Samsung 850 Evo SSDs but does work fine with 850 Pros.
If you're cloning another disk, try putting the SSD in the computer then connecting the original disk to the USB cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.