Samsung EVO SSD: Corruption or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by losmediastudios, Aug 25, 2014.

1. losmediastudios macrumors newbie

Here is my issue in a nutshell:

I installed OSX Mavericks on my newly purchased SSD drive. I cloned the HDD to the SSD, and the SSD worked perfectly connected externally. When I reinstalled it back to the old, HDD port with a new hard drive cable, the OSX fails to boot. I run Repair Disk on DU, and it says the partition is corrupted, and I have to reformat. Odd thing is that it scans just fine without errors when I test it externally. All I want to do is have OSX running on my SSD drive, but it seems every time I successfully install OSX, it fails to properly work. Any ideas, experiences? I have tried everything... :apple:

Running: Late 2012 MacBook Pro, 2.0 Ghz, 13", 16GB Ram

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As I was reading I was gonna say get a new drive cable, but you already did that. Try a SMC reset. That can sometimes help with these link negotiation issues.

3. syobwoc macrumors member

syobwoc

Just to make sure, did you originally format the SSD as GUID Partition Table scheme before cloning the hard drive? Not sure if cloning also copies over the partition scheme. Sometimes the default is the Mater boot record type which osx won't boot from. Hope this helps.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't believe it would work externally like it does if it was not formatted to GUID.

5. losmediastudios thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, and here is the update:

I returned the drive back to Samsung. I tried everything to make it work internally, and nothing. I called their customer service, and the recommended I return the drive because it would never work with my MacBook. As per their representative, Apple has made it more difficult to replace drives not sold by the Apple Store. The problem was based on the controller/blocks that the SSD holds, and this is the main reason why the partition was having problem booting up internally. The irony is that Samsung builds the SSD sold by the Apple Store, but Apple reformats them for pre-installed purposes.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are tons of users here with that exact same drive and it works fine with Mac computers. I have no idea what that Samsung rep. is talking about. I think you just got a defective drive. :(