Samsung Evo vs Samsung Pro SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by twilexia, Dec 1, 2015.

1. twilexia macrumors 6502

Just wondering which one seems like the better deal to you guys?

Samsung Evo 850 1TB SATA III - 350 on Newegg/Amazon

Samsung Pro 850 1TB SATA III - 430 on Newegg/Amazon

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

850 EVO, they're quick enough and as reliable as a wood-burning stove. IMHO the performance gains/extra warranty from the Pro isn't worth the extra cost.

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I am of the same opinion.

4. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

5. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd like to do PCIe but how would that work? Can I use this with the thunderbolt 2 connection? Curious - am not a tech expert.

6. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Nope, sadly you can only leverage it on pre-2013 Mac Pros... :(

Then again, you do now get PCIe SSDs in most of the new Macs, but there's no option to expand or upgrade it later. I don't know much about external NVMe options, but going RAID 0 SSDs with a TB3 external might be nice? I have no experience doing this, but perhaps others on the forum may have?

7. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

I read somewhere that the EVO is guaranteed up to 75 TB read/writes while the PRO is guaranteed up to 150 TB R/W?

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's correct, the warranty on the Pro covers more writes and the warranty is a few years longer.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... at the 1TB size you are looking at they are rated the same.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review

I'm with the others comments.... go with the EVO.

10. twilexia, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

At the end of the day, it's your money. If that 14% speed difference is worth $80 to you then go for it.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you had said which is the better drive, I would have said the Pro, but you asked which is the better deal and I still think that is the EVO. Unless you are sitting there timing things with a stopwatch or a benchmark program, you will never be able to tell the difference. I see no reason to spend over more 20% for something you won't likely even notice.

13. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'm in agreement with that logic and have already ordered an EVO from amazon :)

To ask another question, and I hope I'm not being too annoying:

Which might be faster, the Samsung SSD T1 or a Samsung EVO 850 connected with a SATAIII to USB3 connector? I don't care too much for portability.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not used the T1, but from looking at the specs it looks like just a pretty USB3 case from Samsung. From the specs, the EVO is faster. The key to getting a fast external USB3 setup is buying an enclosure that supports UASP so you get top speeds. Some cheaper enclosures are not UASP. I use this one with an SSD over USB3 and it works really well.

15. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

You're awesome, that's super helpful.

I did read this review here http://techreport.com/review/27690/samsung-portable-ssd-t1-reviewed/2 where the conclusion is that the t1 is certainly slower than an internal SATA connect but marginally better than a 840 EVO connected via a USB enclosure. However I wonder what would happen if they used the one you recommended. thanks.

They did also mention that USB connections are not as good for random-access I/O heavy workloads. Not sure I understand what that means in real-world implications, but the differences look pretty significant.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It looks like that USB dock they used does support UASB, so that test is probably fairly representative of what you can expect to see. That T1 does still use a USB connection, so I'm not quite sure what they mean by their comment unless they are comparing it to a SATA internal connection I suppose.

17. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Again, that helps a lot. I think they were comparing it to the SATA Internal connection.

18. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I know it's too late but the difference between them is MLC and TLC. MLC lasts longer than TLC.

19. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

So the Samsung Pro will last longer? But is it worth the increase in price (in your opinion)?

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is true MLC NAND is rated for more lifecycles than TLC NAND, but in reality the TLC NAND drive will last longer than you will ever own that computer. See this and particularly this test.

Don't sweat it. :)

21. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Pro is suppose to be better in durability; however, Evo is more popular because 1) it's cheaper 2) it will still last long...

22. twilexia, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015

twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again.

Do you think the Samsung 850 (whether pro/evo) is the best on the market?

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think for consumer level drives those and the newer Crucial drives like the MX200 are the best bang for the buck. If money is no object there are enterprise class drives that are faster and have NAND chips rated for longer lifetimes, but I just think that is a waste of money in a consumer computer.

With newer SSDs, I think you very quickly reach a point of rapidly diminishing returns as you start to spend more money.

24. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I think the top player in SSD for Mac is Samsung and Crucial. I chose Crucial because it was cheaper and I can update the firmware within OSX. Although Samsung is faster than Crucial but I doubt there is any real difference in real usage. Now that I have Crucial for 3 years.... I've only updated the firmware once (can't be bother)... so my next purchase will be Samsung.