Samsung exec admits its tablet market efforts a flop

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by *LTD*, Feb 27, 2012.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

And these crooks have the gall - the brazen temerity - to then turn around and sling mud at Apple and their fans in the phone segment, while they continue to do all they can to copy Apple, right down to the very packaging. Even marketing.

And what of Yoon's predictions about the Galaxy Note?

[​IMG]

2. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I saw a Galaxy note yesterday... the person using it was in the middle of a call and the phone looked comically large held up next to their face. Bluetooth ear-piece might be a requirement unless you want to look foolish using this phone.

Samsung is just gonna continue to throw products at the wall until one sticks. What a great business model!

3. bearbear macrumors regular

As a non-stockholder of Apple, I couldn't care less if Samsung copies everything that Apple does. In fact, I hope they go out of their way to copy everything Apple does right and take their products to the next level. Likewise for Apple.

In the end, I win.

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Actually you don't. You should ask the Linux companies how they're doing trying to copy RedHat to make money.

5. juliusaugustus macrumors regular

juliusaugustus

Just curious why do you find the need to constantly post about Samsung? It only shows one thing about you LTD that you love Samsung products in fact you probably own a Galaxy note and think wow this thing is amazing such a brilliant idea. You think Samsung is the greatest company in the world and you wish Apple were more like them so you find the need to constantly post about them. Part of what I said is definitely true even if you won't admit it.

6. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Why do tech sites find the need to constantly report about Samsung?

News is news.

7. juliusaugustus macrumors regular

juliusaugustus

Because Samsung is gigantic multinational corporation. Back to the point just because the news reports it doesn't mean you need to.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Curious as to what you must therefore think of people using an iPad as a camera.

9. juliusaugustus macrumors regular

juliusaugustus

I've also seen people hold thinkpads like books

10. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

I don't need to do anything. I just felt like it.

Tomorrow I might feel like posting something about MS. Or maybe RIM. Haven't posted about them in a while . . .

Thanks for your interest. Stay tuned.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i've never seen a person use an ipad as a camera. have you?

12. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Nope. I can't say I've seen anyone do that.

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I've seen a few people doing that. I've also seen a woman running with one, using it as an iPod.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Good grief, yes. I live near NYC, home to more tourists and techno show-offs than any place outside of the Left Coast :)

It can be a bit painful to watch some try to keep their flip-open case out of the way.

And you call yourself an Apple fan? Ha. Apple even has a whole web page devoted to using the iPad as a camera. Why do you think they put one on there? Just to look pretty on a spec sheet? :)

There's also been the odd forum thread now and again from people who like the huge viewfinder and available effects from apps.

It is, however, worth noting that neither Apple nor Samsung seem to publicize pictures of people actually using the iPad as a camera, or the Note as a phone.

Maybe they both realize it looks a bit awkward *grin*

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have seen it used once and it was pretty slick on why they did it. They used it to snap a shot of a business card and a single document that was given to him. He stated I hate paper and then logged the items into his note taking app.

I have yet to see someone take a picture like a regular camera. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen..lol..... I have seen the behind the scenes of videos that were shot with iPads, which in itself was pretty cool.

16. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I saw some hipster tourist use one the other day to take a picture of the Walt Disney Concert Hall

goofy as hell

17. garybUK Guest

garybUK

In Heidelberg, it's over-ran with old-age American tourists ;) and a few of them absolutely must use an iPad as a camera taking pictures of the city.

Too bad it can't fit in their bum bags ('fanny' packs).

Do you reckon Samsung are pushing development of Bada and might bring a version to tablet? I think half the problems are with Android tbh.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've seen it multiple times. I've also seen it used like an iPod. Ridiculous.

Personally, I don't think the Samsung tablets are that bad, especially the smaller 7-inch one.

19. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Scenario....

Wife is at home with 2 year old. Dad is work missing its important development. Boy does something really amazing so Wife gets iPad and takes a picture. This goes into Photostream and dad gets to see it on his phone.

Wife also has the option to face time or send a video via iMessage.

iPad is a camera and is not trying to be. Its a great device to share media though.

20. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Agreed, but there's a lot of competition with the PlayBook lately.

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Kind-of a niche application, but about a month ago, I saw a swimming coach walking alongside the pool videoing a swimmer. At the end of each lap they quickly reviewed the swimmer's technique on the iPad's big screen.

Looked odd at first, but quite clever once I realized they really needed a big screen.

22. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thats pretty cool

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Was he just using the videocam, or an app that let him draw on the screen to point out mistakes, and also save and compare to previous videos?

I ask because there's a bunch of coaching applications for all kinds of tablets. Some are just electronic rosters and playbooks. But others include video capabilities to really track and help athletic progress.

Such tablet (and smartphone) apps are very popular, apparently, with high school and Little League coaches for every sport imaginable. Pro, too. The Dallas Cowboys are now using iPads, for example.

In any case, "awkward" is in the eye of the beholder. Years ago we all had large home cordless phones with two foot antennas sticking out, and no one thought it was strange :)

24. Arran, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

No idea. I was a few lanes over, watching them intermittently through steamed-up goggles. By the time I was done, they'd left.

Yeah, the alternative (separate camera, monitor, cables, maybe battery pack) would have been inconvenient at best, impractical at worst.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have the PlayBook. Just incredible. I'm very happy with it. :) I was even happy with the PlayBook OS v1 despite the reviews, but v2 is definitely a bit better.

I'm not a fan of Android on tablets, but it'll definitely serve many people's needs. And aesthetically, I think they look quite good. It'll only be a matter of time before sales pick up.