Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mortis360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Norway
I did a clean install of macOS Catalina yesterday evening, today I was going to install software from Samsung to unlock, and manage their external SSD's, (T3, T5 and X5), and was met by a message saying:
This package is not compatible with this version of macOS. This package tries to install content on the system volume. Contact the software manufacturer for more information.

I had this software installed previously, and it did not show up under legacy software before I decided to update from Mojave to Catalina.

Does anyone else have the same issue with Catalina and Samsung Portable SSD Software / Log In Activator for Mac?
Skjermbilde 2019-10-08 kl. 15.09.27.png

petewaugh

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2019
South Lanarkshire, Scotland
Yes, I had exactly the same. Luckily I have another Mac running Mojave so plugged the drive into that, copied files off, disabled security on the SSD then erased it to remove security partition (I have no need for the security anyway). Copied files back then plugged back into Mac running Catalina - no problems. Phew!

Reactions: mikzn

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
There is no reason at all to use Samsung's encryption software. The first thing smart people do when they buy a drive with vendor provided software is to reformat the drive, wiping out that stuff. macOS offers full disk encryption on its own and doesn't require any 'help' from outside vendors.

For the case where a user is locked out of a drive after upgrading to Catalina because the Samsung software won't run, your best bet is to find or borrow a Mac running Mojave, install the Samsung crap, mount the drive, copy the data to a backup, reformat the Samsung drive to APFS, and copy the data back.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The Samsung app is also used to upgrade firmware on their external SSDs, so there can be a need other than encryption to run the app.

Reactions: chris4565

Del Rei

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2017
Brazil
I have the T5 (1TB) but don't use this software.

My main question is:
Did Catalina soved the problem that delayed the initial boot? The Apple logo only appears after 25~30 seconds.

Is it fixed? Please, say YES!

Mortis360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Norway
There is no reason at all to use Samsung's encryption software. The first thing smart people do when they buy a drive with vendor provided software is to reformat the drive, wiping out that stuff. macOS offers full disk encryption on its own and doesn't require any 'help' from outside vendors.

For the case where a user is locked out of a drive after upgrading to Catalina because the Samsung software won't run, your best bet is to find or borrow a Mac running Mojave, install the Samsung crap, mount the drive, copy the data to a backup, reformat the Samsung drive to APFS, and copy the data back.
Good idea in theory, if you only use macOS, if you also need your drive to be Windows compatible you won't get a long way with encrypted APFS.

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
Samsung is notorious for not keeping their SSD software updated for the Mac platform. I found that out when I bought my first one back in 2012. You could try contacting them. Good luck with that.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I did a clean install of macOS Catalina yesterday evening, today I was going to install software from Samsung to unlock, and manage their external SSD's, (T3, T5 and X5), and was met by a message saying:

I had this software installed previously, and it did not show up under legacy software before I decided to update from Mojave to Catalina.

Does anyone else have the same issue with Catalina and Samsung Portable SSD Software / Log In Activator for Mac?
View attachment 867698
That the a previously installed app still worked after the system was updated to Catalina but won't reinstall on a clean Catalina install indicates that the app itself is compatible with Catalina, but its installer isn't.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Samsung has posted a new version, 1.6.5, which seems to be on some sort of staged rollout because when I try to download it, I get redirected to a page that reports today's download limit is expired. I don't know if this fixes Catalina compatibility, but has anyone successfully downloaded it?
Edit: I got 1.6.5 downloaded. It still doesn't install on Catalina.

Last edited:

Kinji

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
I have an older T3 1TB SSD which I use solely for time machine. It no longer works with Catalina for similar reasons - it says something about how I need to install a driver to run the Samsung encryption, but when I try to install the driver it says it is not compatible with this version of macOS.

I remember originally trying to reformat it so that I didn't have to use their encryption, but it got messy and didn't mount well when I did that or something to that effect, so I just kept it as it.

Would consider trying to reformat it again without Samsung's encryption, but it has all my time machine backups for my MBPro pre-Catalina so that's risky.....

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Did anyone install Catalina in an external SSD?
Solved the slow boot?

Not sure what you mean? I have Catalina on an external samsung SSD - evo 500g - no issues with a slow boot

In fact hard to tell the difference from the Mohave - Internal SSD drive

Del Rei

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2017
Brazil

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Reactions: Del Rei

Mortis360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Norway
What if I cleared the Samsung software and just want to use it as empty drive? I noticed the ssd is sloppy with time machine backups. not wanting to back up data
You only need this software if you're using Samsungs encryption on this drive, as previous software versions wasn't compatible with macOS Catalina (making many people not being able to access data on their drives at all).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What if I cleared the Samsung software and just want to use it as empty drive? I noticed the ssd is sloppy with time machine backups. not wanting to back up data
As mentioned, the Samsung software is only required for using Samsung's own encryption software, or to update firmware on the drives.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have been using Samsung's T-series external SSDs since the T1 and have never bothered with their proprietary software; no need for it. Apple provides a perfectly decent encryption system if someone needs to do that. When I purchase a new T5 or X5 I promptly erase the data on it in Disk Utility and format it to APFS. Never had any problems with it. I don't use Time Machine, though; I prefer other methods of backing up my data.

Reactions: revmacian

Mortis360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Norway
I have been using Samsung's T-series external SSDs since the T1 and have never bothered with their proprietary software; no need for it. Apple provides a perfectly decent encryption system if someone needs to do that. When I purchase a new T5 or X5 I promptly erase the data on it in Disk Utility and format it to APFS. Never had any problems with it. I don't use Time Machine, though; I prefer other methods of backing up my data.
If you only use it with Apple devices, using their encryption works perfectly fine. If you also use Windows, you're out of luck with that route, and the Samsung software gives you encryption for both platforms.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
If you only use it with Apple devices, using their encryption works perfectly fine. If you also use Windows, you're out of luck with that route, and the Samsung software gives you encryption for both platforms.

Ah, that's a good point; I indeed do use the T series external SSDs only with Macs; I have not used Windows on my own home personal machines since 2005 and have no plans to do so ever again. I hadn't realized that Windows doesn't provide a way of encrypting one's files and folders. Interesting....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.