Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
Anything that helps to bring NFC payments to mainstream in the US, I'm all for. My choice is ApplePay, but the more compatible options there are, the more retailers will have to look at accepting those payment methods.

Having viable options from Apple, Google and Samsung can only be good for the future of NFC payments.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
gimped fingerprint sensor + gimped payment system = frustration

You are right there swipe ID that's what I am calling it, because my neighbor note 4, he has to swipe is finger more than twice to get it to work and sometimes it don't. They need to fix that first before using there loopPay. The Touch ID on my 6+ works every time never had a problem with it.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Personally, I prefer not to be potentially swamped by advertisements and promotions by EVERY merchant I shop at. I agree with you, Some I don't mind, especially its somewhere I frequent regularly but if I'm buying once from someone, I prefer them not to have my info, or at least give me the option to provide it.

(snip) We should be able to have anonymity AND convenience.

It's almost like we need not only proxy (token) account numbers, but proxy addresses as well. The merchant could access our proxy address, and if we've opt'd in for ads from their category, then they'd ask the proxy server to send us ads/coupons/awards.

Hmm. That's pretty much how Google and Apple serve ads. Advertisers pay for Google/Apple to show ads to people who fit a category, but never themselves get the person's information.

There are some concerns with Google Wallet, links to Bank Accounts option that I personally don't like, Search of Purchase History by Google, need for Google to be in purchasing loop that scares customers, banks and merchants as an additional point of failure.

I think people have this privacy concern so backwards. Google's not a concern, but the credit card companies can be.

Personally, I don't mind Google's machines being in the purchase loop. For one thing, it's the future of personalized assistance, where our automated search helpers know what we like and can make more pertinent recommendations.

Ditto for my purchases from Amazon and eBay. They have my address, of course, and know far more about my purchases than most companies. They also make personalized recommendations.

Plus, the credit card companies already use our purchase data to sell targeted demographics to ad agencies. So not much difference there.

--

However, when and where we bought something can have a far greater personal impact in the hands of our CC companies... because they also use that info to determine what kind of credit risk we are.

The CC companies analyze all our purchases, and look for unusual patterns such as our visiting an out-of-our-way liquor store during the middle of the day, to get early warnings if we lost our job or are having an affair, or doing anything else that might affect our ability to pay. Which makes sense, but is far more creepy than analyzing for which ads to show someone.

So: targeted ads versus financial status impact. Which is more important? This is one big reason why the banks were willing to pay Apple to keep all that info flowing directly to them. And it's where a proxy buyer (something akin to the way Google Wallet works) could be handy for people who are more serious about privacy.

Last edited:

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
They did... on car forums. This is not a car forum.

Daytime running lights consisting of LEDs arranged in a strip are an idea that would have come about eventually once LEDs became inexpensive, reliable, and bright enough to use this way. They are not mandated in the US but are in Canada and other countries, and they are proven to improve safety, so you are seeing more and more cars equipped with them. Why stick with the incandescent bulb when the LED is easier to slip into designs, is brighter, uses less power, and is more reliable?

Audi happened to be one of the first to widely deploy the idea. Someone had to be first. It could just as easily have been someone else.
Same EXACT thing goes for any technology.
Everything Apple did for the initial iPhone would have came to fruition as standard in cell phones in the immediate future so why are Apple fanatics so upset?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I already use Google Wallet for NFC transactions, and also have a Google Wallet card that I can transfer money to, from any of my CC cards instantly.

You can't really judge until Samsung actually implements LoopPay into their phones, for better or worst.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
I have actually used LoopPay, it's very nice, never had any problems with it. Apple Pay is faster, though Visa is in talks with Loop to set it up to use tokenization over Mag Stripe with Loop as well, so if that happens, it could be very cool.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Meh,
After having my 6+ for 2 months or so now I still have yet to be able to use Apple Pay even once. I did try to use it in Disney World one time as Disney is supposed to be a partner for Apple Pay, and guess what, it did not work. They guy was like sorry, we dont support any "tap to pay methods". But I could use my Magic Band to pay instead. Lol. So much for that Apple.

:p

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Meh,
After having my 6+ for 2 months or so now I still have yet to be able to use Apple Pay even once. I did try to use it in Disney World one time as Disney is supposed to be a partner for Apple Pay, and guess what, it did not work. They guy was like sorry, we dont support any "tap to pay methods". But I could use my Magic Band to pay instead. Lol. So much for that Apple.

:p

Unfortunately you were just a few weeks too early at Disney. If you had gone this week instead, you would have been able to use Apple pay- they're rolling it out today.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
.... and only available in the US. We are still waiting for iTunes radio in the UK so I don't hold out much hope for Apple Pay making it either. Very annoying since contactless payment is very prevalent here.

I am in canada...still waiting too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.