Samsung F1 750gb, anyone using on new MPs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ndtechie05, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ndtechie05 macrumors member

I'm looking to order some more storage drives and I'm between getting 2 750gb F1's and 2 500gb Seagate 7200.11. One will be a scratch while the other will be boot. I was thinking of getting one of each. I've heard its a crapshoot for the Seagates from Newegg with the firmware. And the F1's I heard had problems with the 1tb but haven't heard much of the 750gb version. Any input on either of these drives?

2. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I have the Samsung F1 750 GB. Bought it from newegg, installed it on my new mac pro about two weeks ago. I haven't had any problems with it at all so far (knock on wood!). I think it's a great drive.

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I just bought a couple of the 500G Seagates and should arrive Monday. I'll let you know.

4. mogrefy macrumors member

There have been a couple threads on HDs or even specifically, Samsung F1s. Those threads have my long response and links to other forums with supporting evidence. In short, I ordered 2 x 1TB Samsung F1s because it seems that those on this forum who are using them are fine, and also I've read that Samsung claims its the HUTIL program people were using to check the drives that was at fault, not the actual drives (Check M.C. error).

I have my RAM and HDs, just waiting for my "Prepped For Shipping" to ship and arrive so that I can test them out.

5. mrcandy macrumors regular

I bought a pair of the Seagate 500MB 7200.11's. They shipped with the problem firmware, but installed and worked fine. I updated the firmware and saw zero benchmark improvement in sequential read/writes and about 45% improvement in most random read/writes. Full story here.

6. cane creek macrumors member

i have a samsung 750gb F1 here now , just waiting form my Mac pro to turn up today .....

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have 2 x Samsung F1 750's. Nice and quick, nice and quiet. :cool:

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I have one myself and agree with the above comment.

9. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I have a 500GB Samsung drive (Spinpoint, the predecessor) and it's a lot quieter than the stock drive. I think it very fast. Your drive should be even faster and at least as good as mine, according to reviews.
    I would say you made a good choice.

10. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

My 3 x 750GB F1's arrived today. It's SUPER quite! It's still in the box waiting to be installed on the soon to be shipped MP. Hehehe

11. Random Chaos macrumors member

Just a little trivia on my Mac Pro:

Temperature sensors on the drives indicate the Samsungs are running significantly cooler than the Seagate that came preinstalled This could be because the air duct in the front blocks good airflow around bay 1, but I think it also says something about the actual drive. The difference is too large to be just the limited difference between the airflow.

Here is my current temperature reading:

Seagate 7200.10 320GB Apple installed boot drive: 97℉
    Samsung F1 750GB Data / Applications drive: 74℉
    Samsung F1 500GB Boot Camp drive: 81℉

12. deathshrub macrumors 6502

That's interesting. I've read a lot of positive things about the Samsung drives, they seem to be quieter and run cooler. I ordered a 1TB and a 750GB Samsung drive last night from Newegg to use with my new machine and I am not regretting my decision.

13. ndtechie05 thread starter macrumors member

Well I ordered the 750gb F1 for storage and bought a Seagate 7200.11 500gb for scratch. I'm going to use the stock 500gb for boot. Should I have bought 2 F1's? I couldn't find a 500gb F1.

14. eyecool macrumors regular

I ordered and received the Samsung 1TB. Did my due diligence on here and other sites. It seemed to be the best way to go. Also ordered and received 4x2GB OWC ram. Now I'm just waiting for my Jan 23 order to friggin ship!

15. Random Chaos macrumors member

I got my memory from Mushkin...shipped in about 3 business days. But they shipped "Direct Signature Required" so I had to stop by FedEx to actually pick it up, since no one was going to be home when they tried to deliver.