Samsung F1 SpintPoint HDD in a 24" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Manticore, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Manticore macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm eagerly awaiting the new iMacs and was wondering if the 10,000 rpm Samsung F1 SpinPoint 1TB would fit into a 24" iMac? I don't see why it wouldn't considering it's a 3.5" drive but this will be my first real foray into Macs since grade school and my GF won't let me experiment on her new MB Pro :rolleyes:

If anyone has done this already what do you think of the performance of the drive?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can't see why not. Performance would be great because of 10k rpm speed.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yeah the drives will fit fine, but the Samsung F1 Spinpoint series drives (my personal favorite hard drives by far) are not 10K drives-- they are standard 7200s.

If I'm not mistaken, the Western Digital Raptors and Velociraptors are still the only commonly available 10K SATA drives.

4. Manticore thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops my bad.

That should settle the HDD for me though, thanks :)

Now I just have to wait and see how much RAM the new iMacs can take.

5. johnsy macrumors 6502

I have the same question! F1 (7200 rpm) are OK in imacs? My apple care is expiring this year and I could use some more room than I have now.

I red some posts on internet that F1 has some firmware issues- freezing and etc.

Could someone who bought Samsung F1 on newegg zipzoomfly or any other store post WHAT firmware it has?
    Thanks.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Sure- here are the ones that I can look at where I am--

2 different 1Tb F1s-- both revision 1AA01109
    750Gb F1- revision 1AA01112

Never a hitch with any of them running 24/7 in a 2008 MacPro or a couple more that are in a system that I have loaned to a friend. I have never seen those posts of F1 firmware issues myself. These are from last July- I think the 2 1Tb ones came from OWC and the 750Gb came from newegg. I've also put some 750s in a couple of G5 iMacs too. I mostly buy the drives through OWC myself.

7. johnsy macrumors 6502

I will post later the original link I found about problems with imac when using Sammy F1.

here is another link

Also I have white (classic, plastic) 24" imac.

8. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yea, i'm sure that would work fine. It appears to be the same size, and it has all the usual connections, so I don't see why not! The performance should be really good, if you get one, make sure to post benchmarks/a review! [​IMG]

9. johnsy macrumors 6502

Here is a link

just select hard drive-samsung-intel imac.

Yes, seems that they have problems with F1's older firmware.

Ok, it is safe then.

10. johnsy macrumors 6502

Had my sammy F1 1TB for a while now. I put it in OWC Mercury Elite Pro quad enclosure. No complains so far. Drive is quiet, fast, still FW800 is quite slow when it takes few hours to fill a few hundred gigabytes. I wish imac had esata port...