Samsung Fascinate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imola Ghost, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I know this isn't the iPhone which I am an owner but I'm sure there are plenty of iPhone users here that had one of these phones at one time. I'm trying to help a buddy that is computer illiterate with his phone and didn't want to join a new forum just to figure this out.

He uses Windows XP or Vista and when he bought the Fascinate phone they made him create a gmail account so he could sync his contacts. Well that day has come and he needs to sync his contacts. So the contacts on his phone is what he wants the gmail contacts to look like.

I've barely trotted water with the phone and it's a little confusing but how do we sync his phone contacts to his computer? What all does he need? Is there some kind of iTunes-like program that does this, HELP?

Thanks in advance!

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Go to google and search for androidforums, then go ask over there...
    :rolleyes:

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sorry can't help ... never even heard of that phone ... as the above poster said, try the android forums

4. kdarling, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Doesn't matter what kind of phone it is.

Once set up to use Google, the contacts should've sync'd automatically.

Tell your friend to sign into http://mail.google.com and click the Contacts link on the left. Everything should be there.

If the contacts aren't there, then on the phone, go to Settings - Accounts & Sync, and make sure Auto-sync is checked.

You should also see his Google account in a list below that. Click on it and make sure Sync Contacts is checked.

If both are off, btw, you can still click on the Google account and it will let you do a manual sync.

--

Then whatever phone he gets next, just have it sign into his google account, and it'll automatically get a copy of the contacts.

A lot of us use Google mail, contacts and calendar to keep all our devices in sync, from desktops to laptops, tablets to phones, of every OS type.

5. Imola Ghost, Apr 24, 2011

Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks kdarling,

The problem is that when he has created a contact on his phone (and at that time he didn't know what he was doing) he created the contact and selected "PHONE" instead of selecting and saving the contact to his gmail contacts. Now he has 65 unassigned contacts.

How do we assign these contacts to his gmail contacts?

Also, is there a way to automatically default to his gmail contacts when creating a new contact?

6. kdarling, Apr 24, 2011

kdarling

Oops.

You could try ContactSync, which is supposed to do that, but the reviews are mixed.

The more reliable and usual method on any phone is to use something like:

1. Backup Contacts, which saves them as a .csv file on the SD card.
    2. Mount his phone or SD card as a drive and copy that .csv file to a laptop.
    3. Upload it to his account at http://www.google.com/contacts (click on Import) .
    As far as I know, you get to choose each time :)

Good luck!

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Seriously? Would you go onto a vegetarian forum to ask people how to grill a steak, because your friend who wants steak was too lazy to type his email into a box on a steak lover's forum?

The more time I spend here, the more disappointed I am in humanity.

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I gotta say mcdj your one of my favorite posters on here :D

9. kdarling, Apr 24, 2011

kdarling

That's a hugely ironic comment, considering just yesterday you posted a non-Apple question in the Mac Help forum, wondering how to transfer files between Western Digital and Synology network disk drives without using a computer.

No doubt you asked there for the same reason Imola Ghost posted here... because you felt most comfortable asking questions around a forum familiar to you.

At least in this case, knowing how to upload contacts to Google is something that often applies to iPhone users as well.

10. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

But... it was still pretty funny lol

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It wasn't even a good simile, because the OP didn't come here out of the blue to ask the question, but has been a member here for years.

It's more like, "Would a vegetarian, faced with having to cook steak for a buddy, turn to fellow members of his/her vegetarian forum for advice? Or go find a steak forum."

As for the friend's "laziness", that could be true. Or maybe they don't know how, or they're shy.

12. mcdj, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

True, I sought to take my Mac out of the equation in a NAS transfer, but at least I had a Mac, and I wasn't asking for a friend who has Windows. If I had a lazy friend with Windows, I'd tell him to join a vegetarian forum.