Samsung FW-550 Bluetooth weirdness w/ ATV 4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by deadoctopi, Nov 27, 2015.

1. deadoctopi macrumors newbie

deadoctopi

So I was finally able to remember that my sound bar had bluetooth. A huge "duh" moment after preferring the optical audio connection for so long with the older ATV3.

Anyways, the ATV 4 finds, and connects to, the sound bar just fine. So I now just leave the sound bar on all the time. Cool.

Every time the ATV goes to sleep, it drops audio. But in the settings it says it's connected to my sound bar (Samsung Airtrack BT) but again, no audio, when I press the ATV remote volume buttons it just reminds me "tv speakers are turned off"

so I "forget the device" the sound bar alerts me the BT connection has dropped, and then is ready, and then the device is found and manually paired again by me in the BT options.

It's a hassle, really. I was super excited to get everything down to just the ATV remote, but I'm considering maybe an outside BT dongle by another company, or just going back to the optical audio cable, and leaving the remote nearby to adjust the volume from whatever I have it set to.

Anyone having issues with their bluetooth connection dropping with their sound bars? I'm also open to alternative sound bars, because they're usually not too pricey, and it might be time to get something with some more oomph.

thanks.

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

I'd wait until tvOS 9.1 comes out and see if that clears it up. I think there's something wrong overall with Bluetooth connectivity, can't imagine it not being addressed. For me, it's headphones for wireless listening. Volume will become low after pausing a video, but if I pause and resume once more -- volume comes back. Happens with both my headphones, 2 different brands. Instead of unpairing and repairing, did you try turning your soundbar off and then back on, or rebooting your ATV...?

3. deadoctopi thread starter macrumors newbie

deadoctopi

Yeah I think I've tried every power cycle combo I can think of, tv first, sound bar first, etc etc. I'll see what TV OS has in store. Was reading through and yeah, does sound like some bluetooth tomfoolery.

Thanks for the reply and input!

4. benjitek, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

No problem... Oddly enough, I have an old JBL Charge 1st-gen speaker that works without issue. Looking forward to Bluetooth issues disappearing into obscurity. I don't want to troubleshoot my ATV4, I just want to use it o_O