Samsung Galaxy A80

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, Apr 10, 2019.

1. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

2. HEALER FLAME macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

3. Aneres11 macrumors 68020

Aneres11

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Like it.. Guessing won't put it on their flagships though

5. mclld macrumors 68020

Needless complexity and more crap to more than likely break

6. Harthag macrumors 6502a

I was excited until I saw 6.7" screen. J...F...C... Enough with these giant phones. The Pixel 3 XL will be my last giant phone. Very happy with the S10e. Why can't they just make it 5.8" (which is considered small these days) it would be perfect with no notch or cut out.

7. Oohara macrumors 68030

Oohara

Wow not bad for a "midrange" phone... I'm loving these notch/hole punch free displays. I'd die for a Note version of this even if it didn't have completely top level specs, a clean undisturbed display is more important to me. Since there are rumours of several different Note models this time maybe there's a tiny chance... Make it a flat screen too and I'm in heaven ;)

8. HEALER FLAME macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

If I was Samsung president I would have made all Note series flat screen and S curved. Or just merge both phones and call it Samsung SN Lol

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

It certainly is interesting. If I had a money tree in my yard I'd buy it just out of curiosity. Not happy about the lack of the headphone jack. I am way too happy to have a phone that has one again.

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

This. I appreciate efforts to improve the smartphone user experience but the only 'problem' this implementation is attempting to solve is the display cutout/hole. I want a seamless display as much as anyone but not at the expense of adding unnecessary complexity and potential points of failure.

11. Aneres11 macrumors 68020

Aneres11

I don't think Samsung can be reprimanded too much for this. At the end of the day, this isn't their flagship device. If they were to put this in the S series then I think the concern of the moving parts would be warranted - as they will sell much more of those than this will.

As this is their mid range device I think it's great to see them taking some risks and doing something a little different. At the end of the day, Samsung has pushed hardware more than most other manufacturers in recent years, so I'm all for them trying something new. Who knows where it could lead.

12. mclld macrumors 68020

Agree and good on them for pushing technology

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Agreed different is always good and to see what works

14. torana355 macrumors 68040

Hence why Samsung are testing it in a midrange device. Also who's to say it will actually break? It may well be extremely durable for all we know.

15. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68020

co.ag.2005

Intriguing... I feel like I read somewhere that Samsung is turning their A series into more of a "hey, let's see if we can do this" type of lineup before going mainstream with the S and Note lineup

also, hands on from super saf

16. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Alright, I'll eat a little crow and admit that's pretty slick. :p

I rarely use the front camera myself and having the superior quality usually found in the rear sensors is quite appealing. Again, I have concerns about reliability over time and if it means compromised dust/water resistance (no IP rating for this phone), I'd pass. That being said, it's a pretty cool execution.

17. pika2000 macrumors 601

This sounds cool or whatnot, until you see the price tag of almost €700 for a mid range hardware. Seriously insane price for a mid range. I mean even the S10e feels like the better deal since you get flagship SD855.

18. VertPin macrumors 6502a

VertPin

19. jamezr thread starter macrumors G5

jamezr

Have you ever had one?

20. HEALER FLAME macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME