Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
This phone has some potential.
What do you think of a slider?

con_a80_05.png

02_GalaxyA80_camera_Ghost_White__2_.0.gif

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-galaxy-a80-release-date-specs-price-features

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I was excited until I saw 6.7" screen. J...F...C... Enough with these giant phones. The Pixel 3 XL will be my last giant phone. Very happy with the S10e. Why can't they just make it 5.8" (which is considered small these days) it would be perfect with no notch or cut out.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Wow not bad for a "midrange" phone... I'm loving these notch/hole punch free displays. I'd die for a Note version of this even if it didn't have completely top level specs, a clean undisturbed display is more important to me. Since there are rumours of several different Note models this time maybe there's a tiny chance... Make it a flat screen too and I'm in heaven ;)

Reactions: Healer Flame

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
If I was Samsung president I would have made all Note series flat screen and S curved. Or just merge both phones and call it Samsung SN Lol

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It certainly is interesting. If I had a money tree in my yard I'd buy it just out of curiosity. Not happy about the lack of the headphone jack. I am way too happy to have a phone that has one again.

Reactions: iSilas

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Needless complexity and more crap to more than likely break

This. I appreciate efforts to improve the smartphone user experience but the only 'problem' this implementation is attempting to solve is the display cutout/hole. I want a seamless display as much as anyone but not at the expense of adding unnecessary complexity and potential points of failure.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I don't think Samsung can be reprimanded too much for this. At the end of the day, this isn't their flagship device. If they were to put this in the S series then I think the concern of the moving parts would be warranted - as they will sell much more of those than this will.

As this is their mid range device I think it's great to see them taking some risks and doing something a little different. At the end of the day, Samsung has pushed hardware more than most other manufacturers in recent years, so I'm all for them trying something new. Who knows where it could lead.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't think Samsung can be reprimanded too much for this. At the end of the day, this isn't their flagship device. If they were to put this in the S series then I think the concern of the moving parts would be warranted - as they will sell much more of those than this will.

As this is their mid range device I think it's great to see them taking some risks and doing something a little different. At the end of the day, Samsung has pushed hardware more than most other manufacturers in recent years, so I'm all for them trying something new. Who knows where it could lead.
Agreed different is always good and to see what works

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Intriguing... I feel like I read somewhere that Samsung is turning their A series into more of a "hey, let's see if we can do this" type of lineup before going mainstream with the S and Note lineup

also, hands on from super saf

Reactions: Oohara and Aneres11

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Intriguing... I feel like I read somewhere that Samsung is turning their A series into more of a "hey, let's see if we can do this" type of lineup before going mainstream with the S and Note lineup

also, hands on from super saf

Alright, I'll eat a little crow and admit that's pretty slick. :p

I rarely use the front camera myself and having the superior quality usually found in the rear sensors is quite appealing. Again, I have concerns about reliability over time and if it means compromised dust/water resistance (no IP rating for this phone), I'd pass. That being said, it's a pretty cool execution.

Reactions: Oohara

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
This sounds cool or whatnot, until you see the price tag of almost €700 for a mid range hardware. Seriously insane price for a mid range. I mean even the S10e feels like the better deal since you get flagship SD855.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Alright so this phone finally became available for purchase on contract with my provider. Since it didn't get released at all where I live at first, I was shocked to suddenly see it pop up here and now I'm pretty excited!

This seems to be the perfect Android sidekick phone for me, as I a) don't care so much about the camera, which is a weak spot on this one, and b) am always on the hunt for the largest OLED screen real estate possible without any disturbance from curves or notches/hole punches.

My intended role for this is to use as a smaller-than-tablet media consumption/gaming device, affordable phone for playing around with Android, extra handset for additional sim/line when traveling, and as a backup phone. For my daily driver I'll still rely on iPhone since my primary workflow is on Apple devices, and I'm planning on replacing my 7 Plus with a cheap used X or iPhone 8 when prices drop further after next week's keynote (finally got tired of having a huge phone in the pocket as daily driver).

In terms of FLAT undisturbed screen area, this phone beats basically everything else on the market, even the Note 10+. The Note screen is slightly wider but that's negated by the curve, and its hole punch makes for a significantly smaller undisturbed widescreen movie image than that of the A80.

Not sure I'd pay the €650 for it outright but since I can get it on contract for ca €30/mo I can swap it out in a year if I want. Going to wait and see what Apple comes out with next week before I go for it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a used iPhone and using my contract for this baby instead...

Anyone else got the A80?

Screenshot 2019-09-04 at 14.40.11.png

Reactions: 5105973

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Not sure if this is happening elsewhere, but the price on this just dropped from €650 to €499 at Mediamarkt in Germany. AND they give you a €100 voucher with the purchase! So effectively the price went down to $399... I noticed this just now but not sure when it actually happened, might be in coincidence with the new iPhone preorders... ;) I was starting to lean towards preordering but this actually made me hesitate...

€399 is a great price for this phone. It may be lacking in certain areas but for anyone wanting a huge FLAT top of the line AMOLED screen, I'm not sure the A80 can be beat.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Not sure if this is happening elsewhere, but the price on this just dropped from €650 to €499 at Mediamarkt in Germany. AND they give you a €100 voucher with the purchase! So effectively the price went down to $399... I noticed this just now but not sure when it actually happened, might be in coincidence with the new iPhone preorders... ;) I was starting to lean towards preordering but this actually made me hesitate...

€399 is a great price for this phone. It may be lacking in certain areas but for anyone wanting a huge FLAT top of the line AMOLED screen, I'm not sure the A80 can be beat.
During the recent 12 months Samsung has remarkably strengthened their mid range offering to challenge cheaper android brands. As you rightfully said, the A80 is a bargain if you want a big high quality display without having to buy a 12-24 month old phone.

Even Apples mid range phone is no longer last years model at a cheaper price but is instead an LCD phone with the latest internals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.