Samsung Galaxy Fold

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Zwhaler, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Zwhaler, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

I've been waiting for this phone for years. There's a pretty good guide about the latest as of this writing here:

https://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galaxy-x-release-date-price

Sounds like after years of back-and-forth rumors, delays, and waiting, we should finally get a good look at this device soon. I'm looking forward to this form factor diversifying throughout the Galaxy lineup, similar to how the "edge" display became prevalent.

I might skip the first gen but am seriously considering this foldable device as my next phone. What do you think about this bold design direction?

2. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Great, & the pics are pretty, but don't believe it until it happens.

3. MarkX macrumors 6502

MarkX

IMO foldable screens in a phone are not needed. It would make them thicker, heavier and more awkward to use. Not to mention potentially more expensive.

4. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Can't wait to see this tech.

Over the coming years, I personally think it's a huge potential market segment - once they get the design right. It won't be for everyone but it will find a big enough audience.

5. Cryates, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

This is being shown off today in some form, yeah? Pretty excited to see this, even if it's just in the early design stages. Also nice of a company to give us a sneak peak at what they are working on.

6. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68020

co.ag.2005

7. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Still waiting for them to bring it out. It’s been going on for 40 minutes now.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    It would merge a tablet and phone into a single device.
    I wonder if they will say anymore about the galaxy home.

8. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Given it's a developer conference but it's almost as cringeworthy as listening to Tim Cook.

9. MarkX macrumors 6502

MarkX

I suppose for some people that might be appealing but not for me. I just think for a mobile phone it’s innovation for innovations sake.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Think it’s coming now as they are taking about curved displays.
    Well they showed it but it was disguised.

11. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 604

Zwhaler

They just showed it for the first time! The design of the phone itself is obscured in what looks like a case, but they just unveiled the display. Wow! I'm excited for the final product and ongoing improvements!

12. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Hmmm, it was obviously hidden in some kind of huge case, but the idea looks phenomenal.

13. apolloa macrumors G4

Doesn’t look too bad for a first gen device, will be interesting to see it properly, bit annoyed about Samsung gloating they’ve invented this and that, I suspect my company has done a lot of work to make it happen along with lots of others. But then again Apple never mentions who actually makes its screens and develops and R&Ds the tech.
    Still, looks cool.

14. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Couple of months before they'll be able to mass-produce...wonder if that means we could see a full device at CES in January. This has me absolutely excited.

15. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Very cool. I’m not really interested in it yet. I am not throwing money at a first gen new tech anymore even though I want to. I went through all those growing pains on the iPhone 6 Plus and some of my Samsung’s. Eh, no, I’ll cheer from the sidelines.

16. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Also not to be overlooked, and yes I know it's not stock Android that a lot prefer but, One UI (the new Samsung Experience I guess?) looks great imo.

17. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

The one positive thing out of that presentation is they're taking customer input for One UI.

18. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Yup the guy said the device is being masked. So I cannot wait to see the real thing, I'm already sold on it. I'm also loving the new One UI as the next phase of the Samsung Experience UI. Bring it!

19. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

That was the best segment of any Samsung presentation I've ever seen. They smashed it!!

20. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Can’t wait to see it for real. I wonder what the pricing will be like.
    I know all the presenters were really good, especially the two women.

21. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I really wouldn't want to buy a first-gen version of the Galaxy Flex (which is what I'm calling it), but if they unveiled it tomorrow I'd want it so bad after seeing the display tech on-stage. Here I was trying to kick my tech following habit. Damnit.

22. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    I sat up straight when he said that they had developed a new polymer and circuit glue that allows "hundreds of thousands of folds" without damage. That's a big leap from a few years ago!

I think he mentioned it would open into a 7.5" (?) screen. Not huge, but not bad at all.

For corporate field apps like I write, it'll be great. Carry a tablet in a pocket!

23. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Give them a chance. First iterations & all.

They'll get better & I think will be the norm in future.

Keep the innovations coming.

24. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

I think he said 7.3inch.

I am absolutely blown away, cannot wait to see final devices making their way to market.

It's design reminded me of the good ol Nokia E90 Communicator, loved that phone.

Hopefully the final version has like a near bezeless 7.5-8inch display on it. :)

25. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Yeah I was thinking about that - the dimensions intrigue me.