Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 VS Ipad air (2?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MilleDav01, Aug 6, 2014.

1. MilleDav01 macrumors member

I am a college student (VETERINARY MEDICINE) and since I have to carry a lot of books already, I kind of wanted to get a tablet to use for WRITING notes. I know that the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Ed. has the Wacom Active Digitizer making notes easier, but, I wanted to see what people thought about the current iPad Air (Soon AIR 2) on note taking with a stylus.

I have tried the GN10.1 and it was a pretty good experience, but since there are not any note taking apps on the iPads that are in stores, I cannot try the iPad out.

Surprisingly I do not know anyone with an iPad, everyone I know has either a Samsung tablet or Nexus tablet.

Thanks for any recommendations,

D.

2. suprakc macrumors regular

Well I would consider a few things:

First, if your fellow colleagues are using android tablets, will you need to cooperate with them on an android to android basis? iPad is good at being universal and compatible with all devices, but its something to consider.

Secondly, have you compared them side by side, or even individually, spending specific time on the app of your choice? Take a stylus to an Apple store and tell an employee exactly what you want to do. See what it has to offer by downloading the app of your choice and testing it for a while (seriously, spend some quality time) That's what the store is for. Perhaps you can do the same at best buy, etc.. for the Samsung.

Don't forget to figure weight, size, and overall usability of the device based on your lifestyle. Also, if you can wait a month or two for an updated iPad Air, I would recommend that. iOS 8 Should have some great new productivity features for iPad, as well.

3. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

I'd say that, if you intend making notes, then go for the Samsung. I own an iPad Air and it's great but impractical for what you intend using it for. Especially note taking as the Samsung has a slot for the writing pen built in but the Air doesn't have that. Over time, the little things will matter like making sure you carry the writing pen all the time ;)

Airs are cool, but for your specific purpose, it is impractical.

4. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

For you, I would recommend the Samsung, as much as I like Apple, for note taking, the Samsung seems like the better option