Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
And furthermore, anyone who says this is down to the stupidity of the consumer does't understand 'procedural memory'. The majority of our daily actions are semi-autonomous - meaning that our conscious attention given to learned actions are greatly reduced compared to when we first began to learn the action. Examples include tying our shoe-laces, driving a car, doing the dishes etc. The first time we did those things they were hard because it takes effort to learn something. Once the neural pathways have been created, they become second nature. That is 'procedural memory'.

The S Pen is no different. Once you've learnt how to stowaway the S Pen in the phone's silo, you do not consciously think about it. And the chances of putting it in backwards shoots up dramatically. In this instance, the time needed for this procedural memory to take hold is very very short because the simpler the task, the faster we learn.

Ideally the 'procedural memory' would incorporate the correct orientation of the S Pen. But it isn't perfect, and is hampered by the fact that we lead busy lives, sometimes lighting is poor, and the only way to tell which the correct end from the incorrect end is by bringing your conscious mind back online for this task and physically looking at it or feeling it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CE3

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
<Removed first part as better judgment finally came to me. My apologies for anyone who read it and took offense.>

The dropping the iPad analogies are completely irrelevant because as pointed out, nothing the OEMS can do short of making it out of rubber will solve that problem. THIS problem is easily remedied with proper design--Samsung did it in the past so failing to do so with this device is simply poor judgement on their part--it's a flaw any way you slice it. They recognized the potential problem in the past and designed for it--guess what we never heard about--people getting their S-Pens stuck in their devices. This time they didn't and are blaming customers for not reading their manual. Come on.

Regardless of whether any of you would do it personally, the FACT of the matter is that people are doing it--and not children. And guaranteed there are going to be more stories about it as more people do it. Can't wait for the YouTube video of some idiots doing it at a retail location. :rolleyes: You know who's going to take an beating in the media for it? Samsung---there is no upside for them in this scenario. If they stand firm on it being a 'user' issue (which it is), they look as a**holes. The alternative is acknowledging it and offering to assist affected customers (best option, IMO) but they're still seen as screwing up the design. It's happened to Apple twice now and we still hear 'antenna-gate' or 'bend-gate' all the time.
Funny....wasn't the same Apple apologist doing the same with any and all Apple issues?
AntennaGate or Bendgate .
Which one of those involved user error? You could say putting a phone in your pocket was user error but then that is a reasonable place to put your phone. Putting a stylus in backward is user error and not a normal function to use the device.
AntennaGate.......dude all you had to do was hold the phone.

Reactions: khha4113

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Antennagate and Bendgate were deal breakers to me as a consumer. I returned my iphone 4 because of it. Bought a Galaxy S (the original one) instead. Then what did Apple do, even while not admitting a mistake? Fixed the antenna in the 4S. Same for a bending phone. I don't care if you are stupid, user mistake, shouldn't put it there, blah, blah. An expensive phone should be stronger than that. And it is looking like the 6S will fix it.

This is poor design and quality control. I won't spend my hard earned dollars on it to be a beta tester. And this is why I never preorder.... anything.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If this is a design flaw, I'll take it. It's a design flaw I can control and minimize by inserting it the proper way. Especially now that I'm an informed about it. It's not a big deal.

Reactions: HiDEF and jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
See above. I already covered that in detail and your assumption is wrong.
No it's not

This is not even comparable to Bend gate. What kind of idiot would put it in backwards? A kid? Bend gate issue was just putting it in your pocket this is nothing like that. You are causing the issue yourself..

Reactions: khha4113 and jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Isn't there always some scandal-gate with every flagship these days. The Note 4 had gap-gate and hair-gate for example.

There is a big hoohar for a couple of weeks and soon the internet moves on ... Normally in time for the next flagship to be released and a new 'scandal-gate' to emerge.

Reactions: ceva321 and HiDEF

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
If this is a design flaw, I'll take it. It's a design flaw I can control and minimize by inserting it the proper way. Especially now that I'm an informed about it. It's not a big deal.
Until the one time out of the hundreds that it will be re-inserted. If you're not paying attention every single time and you get it wrong then you're screwed. Good luck trying to get samsung to help you.

Last edited:

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
No it's not

This is not even comparable to Bend gate. What kind of idiot would put it in backwards? A kid? Bend gate issue was just putting it in your pocket this is nothing like that. You are causing the issue yourself..

I have to say that is the biggest load of **** I have ever read on any forum. And I was banished from here from speaking out against Apple for bendgate. So I am in no way an Apple supporter.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
No it's not

I didn't even mention bend-gate. You did. It's procedural memory that you should be worried about. It has nothing to do with IQ or age. So, like I said, your assumptions are wrong.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm not worried about it I don't have one

Fact still remains

Would this happen if you put it in the correct way?

If it could happen then yes this is a serious design flaw.

If it can happen purely putting it in wrong on a regular basics? Then it's the users fault nobody else's

Reactions: jamezr

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
I'm not worried about it I don't have one

Fact still remains

Would this happen if you put it in the correct way?

If it could happen then yes this is a serious design flaw.

If it can happen purely putting it in wrong on a regular basics? Then it's the users fault nobody else's
Simplistic conclusion that conveniently ignores all the facts about human behaviour, Samsung's own questionable design history, poka-yoke, and the fact that they already had a solution from previous designs they could have used.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What a load of crap

Why would you put it backwards? Not a design issue...it's called being an idiot

The more important question is 'why wouldn't you put it in backwards?' It's virtually the same shape and easily fits with no additional force necessary from either end so the average person would assume that means it doesn't matter. This is the equivalent of making a usb port that can be inserted in either orientation with the same amount of force, except one of those orientations permanently ruins the host device.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The more important question is 'why wouldn't you put it in backwards?' It's virtually the same shape and easily fits with no additional force necessary from either end so the average person would assume that means it doesn't matter. This is the equivalent of making a usb port that can be inserted in either orientation with the same amount of force, except one of those orientations permanently ruins the host device.
Really? So you can't tell visually which way it should go? Your USB comparison does not apply.
Even if you put the pen in the wrong way. IT DOES NOT RUIN THE DEVICE. It just disables the stylus notification feature. The phone and stylus will function as normal!

samsung-galaxy-note5-stylet-01.jpg

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Really? So you can't tell visually which way it should go? Your USB comparison does not apply.
Even if you put the pen in the wrong way. IT DOES NOT RUIN THE DEVICE. It just disables the stylus notification feature. The phone and stylus will function as normal!

I can visually tell what way a usb plug should go in as well, but that doesn't mean we don't all try to put it in the wrong way from time to time. It absolutely applies because USB was intelligently designed so that damage does not occur when the inevitable happens.

I guess 'disables' is now the way to gloss over this as if it's a 'feature'...

Reactions: Zedcars

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I can visually tell what way a usb plug should go in as well, but that doesn't mean we don't all try to put it in the wrong way from time to time. It absolutely applies because USB was intelligently designed so that damage does not occur when the inevitable happens.

I guess 'disables' is now the way to gloss over this as if it's a 'feature'...
You're still wrong.......USB ports use electrical power and it CAN damage to both of your devices. It can cause permanent damage and render your device useless. So of course they should take extra effort to make sure people do not use it the wrong way.
In no way shape or form will inserting the stylus in backward cause the phone to be rendered useless.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
What a load of crap

Why would you put it backwards? Not a design issue...it's called being an idiot

I've had the same Canon DSLR for over two years now and still occasionally accidentally insert the SD card the wrong way ( see zedcars post). Thankfully my camera is designed to not allow full insertion of the card and a jam would never happen unless it was intentional. Sounds like Samsung had this sorted with their S-pen on previous models and apparently decided smart functionality like this wasn't necessary with the Note 5. I just watched the video and how easily the pen slid in backwards before getting jammed. Are most people going to do this? Probably not, but it is indeed an intentionally overlooked design flaw.. and assuming everyone who accidentally does this in the future is an idiot is poor judgment on your part.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Sounds like Samsung had this sorted with their S-pen on previous models and apparently decided smart functionality like this wasn't necessary with the Note 5.

I.e....they gave some people way too much credit.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think there is no denying a solution could have been found for this. It always amazes how companies like Apple and Samsung make errors of judgement and release a device with a flaw that is exposed quickly once consumers get hold of it. Antenna-gate, bend-gate etc got the fanboys in a frenzy (some present of this very thread).

Publicity makes these companies take note (excuse the pun) and improve. It is true it's idiotic to put the stylus in the wrong way but hands up who is not an idiot from time to time. My 2 year old daughter regularly throws my iPhone 6 and you're not supposed to do that! lol. This doesn't mean the Note 5 is not an excellent device overall. It truly is. :)

Reactions: tbayrgs and CE3

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I've had the same Canon DSLR for over two years now and still occasionally accidentally insert the SD card the wrong way ( see zedcars post). Thankfully my camera is designed to not allow full insertion of the card and a jam would never happen unless it was intentional. Sounds like Samsung had this sorted with their S-pen on previous models and apparently decided smart functionality like this wasn't necessary with the Note 5. I just watched the video and how easily the pen slid in backwards before getting jammed. Are most people going to do this? Probably not, but it is indeed an intentionally overlooked design flaw.. and assuming everyone who accidentally does this in the future is an idiot is poor judgment on your part.
Fair point

I apologise to those who were offended by my idiot comment. This wasn't directed at anybody here of course.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Stupidity might be one thing, but some people seem to completely discard the group of users with impaired vision and older people. For those groups, this can be a potential deal-breaker. Not everyone who is old (70+) has a bad vision or problems identifying minor differences in shapes, and not everyone with impaired vision is unable to distinguish the top from the bottom of a pen. However, it's ignorant to assume that anyone having issues with inserting an object the wrong way by accident has to be stupid.

The issue with the pen is likely blown out of proportion - like pretty much everything these days - and it affects a very small group of users, but a flaw is a flaw and this oversight by Samsung should fixed, particularly as this is such a premium device.

No, I'm not a Samsung hater. Quite on the contrary. I hold them in very high regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.